Van Norman #6: First Chips

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My extremely patient wife rode with me to Indiana this spring to retrieve a VN#6 and a Boye & Emmes 16x30 Lathe from bigearl67. Earl has a Cincy Tool and Cutter Grinder on HM Classified Ads. Great guy, honest and fair. Haven't seen the Cincy he is selling. But it's likely exactly what he says it is.

Regardless, I've yet to work on the B&E Lathe. She needs some apron and crossfeed work.
But, after a only a couple days of elbow grease and some electrical work I got the VN6 under power on Saturday, and played with a little aluminum on Sunday (vertical).

She is sweet!
About .006 backlash in Y, and .10 in X.
Some of my 5V collets visibly wobble, others pretty good, some without any deviation at all using a .001 dial indicator.
Does anyone have any extra 5V collets they'd like to sell? I'll start watching Ebay.
Perhaps I can hire someone with an ID grinder to convert the wobbly collets to the next size larger, and make them accurate at the same time?
Does that work? I've not done ID grinding.

Someone has removed the original (reversible) 3phase 1hp motor and placed a 1phase 1hp motor.
I'll want to swap that out. Fortunately, appears as though the original electrical panel doesn't appear to have been altered in the process.
Of note is the Optical Vernier. I've tried to include close-ups including the scale through the lens.
The Optical is on the X axis. Because I've got a stray set of Pratt&Whitney end measures, I'm thinking of making a gauge block dial indicator for the Y axis. Any thoughts on this? I've got a vintage gauge block dial indicator mount (missing some of the pieces) for the Y axis of my Cincy Toolmaster 1B. Thought I'd use this as a model and set up both (the Cincy Toolmaster has .001 Trav-A-Dial for X axis).

The VN6 also appears that she may have had an aftermarket power-feed attachment.
I've attached a pic of the X axis hand crank with a keyed extension.

The Cutter Head was packed with grease, such that when I tried to get the oil to run through the drain. None came out.
Took off the inspection plate, and dug out grease with a butter knife (don't tell my wife).

The gear box is clean, and the oil is clear with no evidence of discoloration or chips.
It's unclear how much oil it's supposed to take.
There is not oil inspection sight gauge and the drain is on the bottom, thus it would drain out.
Any idea how much she is supposed to take, if I have enough.

She only ran for a short time on some aluminum until I'm confident we've got the lube right.

Earl gave me three horizontal arbors with the mill.
I've scrounged up a complete set of spacers and am looking for an entry level selection of horizontal cutters.
Question about arbor nuts.
Should they be hardened? Or anything special?
Can I use any nut that appropriately fits?

Enjoy the pics.
Especially the ORO (Optical Read Out).

Daryl
MN

IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1366.JPG IMG_1445.JPG IMG_1446.JPG IMG_1447.JPG IMG_1451.JPG IMG_1452.JPG IMG_1453.JPG

Nice machine, And your wife still has a smile. That's a big plus!

There was a guy that made a run of 5V collets. If memory serves, it was on the Van Norman yahoo groups. I think he also was offering sets on Ebay for something like 175.00 per set. Another place you may check is "Small Tools" it's located in Euclid, OH, they have a website. They might have some, if you call, ask for Tim. He will actually know if they have any. Good Luck
Jeff

you gotta tell us why the wife is really smiling. . . . . ( the new car ) ? or the trip to the Glades ?

you gotta tell us why the wife is really smiling. . . . . ( the new car ) ? or the trip to the Glades ?

Not sure if that is a smile or a long list of "honey-dos" she was formatting.
Based on recent history, the latter.
Daryl
MN

No, but she looks handy! I've been doing the math. That means looking up the formula, then doing the math. I'm going to need to look for one!

I'm not operational in horizontal yet. Horizontal runs slower than vertical correct?

Daryl
MN

Hey Daryl, glad to see you are getting it all together! The optical reader sure looks cool! I have a spare three phase motor if you get down this way. Got the B&E set up yet? You left the motor starter on the wall. I got the Cincinnati all cleaned up and making a lot of chips but it really does now have the low end that the B&E has. That thing is a brute! Earl

Hey Daryl, glad to see you are getting it all together! The optical reader sure looks cool! I have a spare three phase motor if you get down this way. Got the B&E set up yet? You left the motor starter on the wall. I got the Cincinnati all cleaned up and making a lot of chips but it really does now have the low end that the B&E has. That thing is a brute! Earl

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]-->[FONT=&quot] We got both the VN and the B&E unloaded safely. The B&E earned a choice position under a window.
Haven't got into the apron/cross-feed rebuild yet.
I've got the calendar marked for some days in October (MEA) for an apron tear down.
The motor starter would be a huge help! Thought you might need that for the Cincy Lathe, I figured I had pushed you to far already.
I hope your boys are doing well! Bright kids! You've got your hands full..
Do you happen to have the cover for the base of the head stock? I found a pic (a different website) of you unloading her many years ago. Looks like the cover may have been around then.
I believe the original [/FONT]VN#6 motor called out a 1hp. Is that what you have?
Another HM (Milwaukee WI) member has a 3/4 - 3ph he is stowing for me until I come through. However, I'd like the full 1hp or better.
Regardless, I'll pick his 3/4up.

Hmmm. Would you be able to place these items on a small pallet and ship?
While you are not about the money, I'd not only pay you for the items but also for the hassle of crating and dropping off at the shipping company.
Wonder what the freight charges would be?
Otherwise, I'm likely looking at next spring/summer before we travel again.

Hope all is well!

Daryl
MN

Back