VN 16m questions

hedlywrkin

Registered
Registered
Hello HM members. I'm seeking info for a Van Norman 16M. This one has a 30 taper and I'm looking for draw bar info. I have found draw bar drawings that show both ends threaded 5/8-11 with the 30 taper end stepped down to 1/2-13. The top of the bar has what looks like a cross pinned hex head above a shouldered nut. The odd bit is the top of the spindle, which is threaded for 5/8-11 and the drawings I have show no threading inside the bore, which seems normal. What am I missing as to the use of this draw bar set up? I thought it could be an adapter but it doesn't want out.... I haven't gone the big hammer route yet. Any experts out there? I'm also looking for the tooth count of the power feed driver pulley. This is the toothed belt type. Lastly, the mill has a 5 hp motor. Could this be a factory option like the 30 taper? It seems period correct and sports the same factory paint as the mill. All input is appreciated. C.M. Ross

So you're not sure if there is currently a draw bar in there or not? I guess we'll have to wait for a VN16 owner to chime in
Have you looked up into the spindle?

No draw bar in spindle. The top inch, or so, of spindle inside bore is threaded.

I got the spindle taken care of. It was a very tight fitting threaded insert. I have no idea what the intended use was, as it was only threaded for half it's length. Now the standard draw bar will work. Anyone have one.... it will be my next turning job. I will appreciate info on the pulley and motor, if someone can help. Thanks, C.M. Ross

I would bet that that's not an original motor. Even the next size up VNs (22, 24, etc.) only ever had 2-3hp motors, and the later 1R(Q) models were also 3hp. I don't recall seeing anything about 16s having 5hp. So more likely, somebody repainted yours after adding the bigger motor. There's also most likely no call for a mill this size to have 5hp, you're just not ever going to be running it hard enough to need that.

If you have the other pulley, you could work backwards to figure out the tooth count from the stated feed rates, given the single motor speed.

Last edited:
Back