What job did you do today in your shop?

The JD project is moving along . New carb is installed . Entire tractor stripped and ready for touch up where needed . Deck looks good and any rust will be removed and primed then painted . The lower cowl has some minor cracks as usual . A new cowl is around $275 . When I get her running I'll make that decision if this is a keeper or a road sale tractor . These Deeres are a PITA compared to the old Cubs .

Cut up all my extra 6" x 6"s for horse shoe pits out back . Another retirement project that was put off for years . :grin:

Sent the USPS any and all information for the $1200 insurance claim for the 3rd time ! Bunch of feet dragging A holes they are . I'll never insure anything thru this friggin organization again . Next step will be the Inspector General if needed .
BTW, if you have an account with them, you should leverage how many times you have shipped and not made a claim. They need to understand that this was a rare claim

you know the old saying.. It didn't happen without pics.
Of course it didn't ! :big grin: Drug up a few cans of old paint from down the basement and found the 90 degree grinder still set up for the deck . Great news here . Just made $9.57 cents up at the recycler from the old heater and empty beer cans . Of course the 3 gallons of diesel used was over $12 . :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    602.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    623.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    530.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    551.3 KB · Views: 18
Of course it didn't ! :big grin: Drug up a few cans of old paint from down the basement and found the 90 degree grinder still set up for the deck . Great news here . Just made $9.57 cents up at the recycler from the old heater and empty beer cans . Of course the 3 gallons of diesel used was over $12 . :rolleyes:
You get paid for recycling? Up here in the (not so) Big City, we have to pay to have them hauled away!

You get paid for recycling? Up here in the (not so) Big City, we have to pay to have them hauled away!
Sure ! They pay for everything . :grin:

Gas tank is back on . Ready to put a gallon in and crank it up with the help of starting fluid . :encourage:

Saturday we got the engine back it my son Daniel's 1969 Triumph GT6 race car after a winter refresh. Daniel has many years of experience building engines, especially Triumph 6 cylinder race engines. Triumph 6 cylinders, especially the GT6 engine because of it's shorter stroke, have a main bearing oiling problem. The cure is to remove the factory installed plugs where the blocks were drilled to feed oil to the main bearings, and install an external oiling system. We went to crank oil pressure before starting the engine and upon inspecting everything before actually starting the engine, Daniel noticed oil on the lower left side of the block. followed the oil trail and discovered a crack in the block where one of the original factory plugs (and now a fitting for the external oil system) goes in!
0.jpeg

What to do?
A) Pull the engine, do another complete teardown, weld it and rebuild and reinstall the engine? Will miss a good chunk of the season - No
B) Try and tap it deeper for a bigger fitting? No - Don't want chips in the engine
I removed the hose and fitting (it was not in too tight so that didn't crack it), cleaned the oil out of the hole and did an inspection. I found that there was straight, uncracked tap drill sized hole deeper in the block. So I designed a special fitting with with a light press fit nose that would extend into the untapped part of the block. I turned special straight threads (Not tapered so as to minimize the pressure on the crack) and a head big enough to tap a new hole for the fitting. We then applied a coating of High Temperature J.B. Weld Bond and threaded it all the way in to be sure the nose was in the untapped bore.

1.jpeg

3.jpeg

Last night we started the engine and brought it up to temperature. No Leaks. Now we keep a close eye on the repair during the races this season but it should hold, even at 70 PSI of oil pressure. I thank the Good Lord every day that we have the equipment and the knowledge to do this type of thing.

Richard

Back