Where To Get Reducer Hub/bushing/adapter For Diamond Wheel

Playingwithmetal

Registered
Registered
Hey. I have came by a couple new to me / used diamond wheels. I plan to use them to shape/sharpen carbide for scrapers. I have a nice olde USA made bench grinder laying around and would like to adapt the diamond wheels to fit the bench grinder. The dilemmas are that the diamond wheels have a 1 1/4" hole and the bench grinder has a 1/2" shaft that secures the wheel between a smaller hub and a 1/2" nut. I am not sure what adapter / hub/bushing I will need. If anyone knows of the correct name for the part I am describing or a link to where I could buy one I would really appreciate it. Below are a photos of one of the wheel I am hoping to put on the bench grinder.
Thanks in advance
Dylan

If you have a lathe make a bushing and flange piece that gets your wheel where you need it. The diamond wheel most likely has a metal hub anas long as you support as much as you can and what you make is concentric I believe that is all you need.

+1 on what David said. That is what I did to mount a diamond wheel on my grinder. Simply measured up what I needed, stuck a chunk of Aluminum rod in the lathe, turned, bored, parted off. Quick job and does the trick.

They don't make a "store bought" bushing to adapt to your bench grinder. You have to make one. Like the other two replys said, make one.
Be sure the existing flanges are large enough to hold the diamond wheel. At least 2-1/4" in diameter or larger. Make a bushing 1.250" OD x .502" ID x 1/2" thick. The bushing material can be just about anything laying around. Aluminum, plastic, steel. Please don't use wood! Norton does sell bushings made from plastic, but I don't recall one that will span this range.

Back