WTB WTB: 3/4" and 1" Monoset/Superflex C collets

allamateur

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for (most importantly) a 3/4" monoset C collet and (less important) a 1" monoset C collet. Decent condition, I've already had some eBay sellers send me torn up collets for $$$$ prices.

Thanks!

Are these for a TCG or a mill?
If a mill, then what hp are you running?
I think the 1B I used to have was only a 1hp. The 1D I now use is a 2hp.
Will your machine effectively run a 3/4"-1"?

Daryl
MN

For a 1A Toolmaster mill, 1hp. I actually have a 3/4" collet but it's galled up on the inside and I don't think I trust it. I assume a Toolmaster can run a 3/4" endmill since I've often heard that's the upper limit of a standard BP (and these are supposed to be a bit stouter), and the 1" is more for large facing tools since it's such a round/common shank size. The mill came with a 1-1/8" collet and I actually had a cutter with shank that size magically, but I think the collet has been tightened hard without tooling in it because it won't get on that 1-1/8" shank for anything.
I also wonder why they made them with such wide spindles and collets if the machines won't run those diameters, but maybe that's just ignorance.

What do you find your limits on a 1D to be, Daryl? Thanks for the response.

My 1B was a 1hp (was a nice machine). I've no idea what a 1A runs.
I'm in the house for the day and didn't want to run out to grab the Machinery Handbook.
Did a quick internet search for hp and milling machines.
Found lots of formulas and calculators.
Such as https://www.dapra.com/resources/milling-formulas
I'm guessing that if you don't take the allowable depth of cut you might get away with using the larger collets.

Daryl
MN

I have a 1-B Toolmaster with a 1hp Fairbanks-Morse axial gap motor (I believe it's original to the machine) on the spindle. I've run a 1" endmill, but I wasn't taking aggressive cuts. The 1-A machine uses the same spindle, just without the power downfeed.

The Superflex C collets were available in Imperial sizes up to 1-1/4", and I think metric sizes up to 32mm.

Back