POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Yes. Powder coat temp Wil booger loctite. A shrink fit will still hold.

Powder coat first??

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

After spending a day mowing, got roped into starting a new garden plot. Wife didn't like where the last one was, and wanted one closer to the house.

First step was plotting it out, then turning it over with the bucket to find the 'big' rocks. It's a small plot so only two nuggets in the 24" to 36" inch diameter class. Many basketball sized rocks, and a bucket full of grapefruit size rocks. Tilling exposed a whole pile of baseball to golf ball size. She's going to spend the next few days picking those out. We'll till again, and pick rocks again, rinse and repeat. Then I'll get a trailer full of manure and till that in. This new plot may not be ready this year, but at least it's started.

Plots.jpg

Also picked up an old cabinet from a relative's place. There's room in the garage until we can decide where to put it. I'm leaning towards a 'display' cabinet in the basement machine shop area for higher end, or old collectable tools. A safe out of the way corner, so it won't get damaged any further.

Moved.jpg

And we have a new batch of birds hanging around. There's got to be 20 of them, and they are uneducated as to what windows are. They keep popping off the house windows like popcorn. Fortunately then are just getting stunned, and after a few minutes are on their way again.
This little guy landed on the porch, so I put him on the handrail to get his bearings before the dog found him.
Popcorn.jpg

Working on EDC pen designs. Internal O-ring retention in the cap. Clean design but fussy to assemble. Love the Frag pattern but takes a while on the Deckel with the dividing head. 1st time anodizing aluminum. Black turned out very nice. Sealed with nickel acetate. makes for a fantastic finish. More prototype designs on the way.

IMG_1884.jpg

Ooh! You got a fantastic finish with that anodizing, beautiful work!

As for me, I spent around nine hours in the attic sealing holes and distributing the insulation better. It will get a lot more insulation when we move up from Texas, but this is one job out of the way when it’s not too hot

After spending a day mowing, got roped into starting a new garden plot. Wife didn't like where the last one was, and wanted one closer to the house.

First step was plotting it out, then turning it over with the bucket to find the 'big' rocks. It's a small plot so only two nuggets in the 24" to 36" inch diameter class. Many basketball sized rocks, and a bucket full of grapefruit size rocks. Tilling exposed a whole pile of baseball to golf ball size. She's going to spend the next few days picking those out. We'll till again, and pick rocks again, rinse and repeat. Then I'll get a trailer full of manure and till that in. This new plot may not be ready this year, but at least it's started.

Also picked up an old cabinet from a relative's place. There's room in the garage until we can decide where to put it. I'm leaning towards a 'display' cabinet in the basement machine shop area for higher end, or old collectable tools. A safe out of the way corner, so it won't get damaged any further.

And we have a new batch of birds hanging around. There's got to be 20 of them, and they are uneducated as to what windows are. They keep popping off the house windows like popcorn. Fortunately then are just getting stunned, and after a few minutes are on their way again.
This little guy landed on the porch, so I put him on the handrail to get his bearings before the dog found him.
Do you get the rusty rocks I frequently saw on the other side of the lake?

Do you get the rusty rocks I frequently saw on the other side of the lake?
A few, but not as much iron ore here. Heading east 50 miles it starts there. There's enough of it there are active iron mines.

We're on a pile of glacial till. Granite, sandstone, miscellaneous other stuff. It's that until 150' down, where sandstone starts.

North a few miles it's basalt, where all the copper is. We're sort of in a no man's land of worthless rock between all the valuable ore. (We do find the odd chunk of float copper.)

So farming amidst the rocks seemed logical, I guess... Lol.

We have an upstairs whole house fan that has a blade that is about 3' in diameter mounted in the ceiling at the top of the stairs. Since it always cools off quickly at night in the Sierras it is very effective in summer to get this old Victorian to sleeping temperature. Except it quit at the end of last summer (after close to 50 years of operation) and all winter I was dreading doing something about it. The attic is more or less inaccessible (at least by me) so I hoped it could all be done from below. There is, also about 3' square, an automatic baffle mounted on the ceiling, so that had to come off. I made (this is the shop part) three latches I could screw into position and rotate them to clip the baffle in place while I removed the 12 wood screws holding it up. This plan worked ok, no real damage to me or the house. I discovered a 1/3HP motor driving the fan through a v-belt and after removing the fan via a simple setscrew on the shaft, I could stick my head up past the fan supports and reach the motor. I was able to take it out, bench test it, clean up the centrifugal switch contacts, get it working, but in the process saw that the wire insulation was just flaking off with every touch. Motor was toast. On Friday about 3PM I found a replacement motor on Zoro, and to my surprise Saturday at noon it was delivered. Free shipping and fairly competitive price for a Dayton ball bearing motor. I also on Sunday morning at 8AM went into the local auto parts store and found, in stock, the exact part number of the old belt, and it fit perfectly. A minor struggle with fitting a 48 frame to the 56 original, but then replacing everything it checked out fine. Big relief.

The way I had to work up through the opening, I guess I have a new respect for proctologists.

Fence building around the garden . May have another 3 hours in it if I find a helper . :encourage:

Attachments

• IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    929.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    807.9 KB · Views: 28
Back