Beautiful old American Iron and Steel

I put the Carroll Jamieson through its final test. I chucked up a 1 3/4" piece of 12L14 sticking out 12" with no tail support. I took two passes at 0.001" per side and both times the end to end measurement was within 0.0002" with some slight deviation in a few spots to bring it up to 0.0004".

I have not entirely cleaned up all the rust spots but the initial results were really good.

I finally did some initial test cuts on the ME lathe. I don't have the flat belt properly tensioned yet.

I had some pretty significant chatter with a nice sharp high speed steel tool. I snuged up the spindle bearings a couple times and almost entirely eliminated it but not quite. The frequency is much longer and very light.

The light flat belt tension started to become an issue even though I can still easily turn the spindle by hand. I'm going to have to wait to do more until I get the belt tensioned when the parts come in on Thursday. It seems that a tiny bit more tension should fix it.

Over all not a bad finish allowing for the light chatter.

I finally did some initial test cuts on the ME lathe. I don't have the flat belt properly tensioned yet.

I had some pretty significant chatter with a nice sharp high speed steel tool. I snuged up the spindle bearings a couple times and almost entirely eliminated it but not quite. The frequency is much longer and very light.

The light flat belt tension started to become an issue even though I can still easily turn the spindle by hand. I'm going to have to wait to do more until I get the belt tensioned when the parts come in on Thursday. It seems that a tiny bit more tension should fix it.

Over all not a bad finish allowing for the light chatter.
I'm wondering what type of bearings the spindle has. Please describe.

The stacked leather pulley on my Mulliner Enlund gearbox was a mess. Runnout was terrible. I tried to true it a bit with a flap disk on an angle grinder but that didn't work to get rid of the runnout.

I threw the pulley on my small lathe between centers on a expanding mandrel. Aluminum cutting carbide inserts did a fantastic job on the stacked leather.

20240531_153517.jpg

I know these pulleys would be slightly crowned but my belt doesn't ride in the middle. I'm relying on the crown of the lathe pulley to help center the belt. So far it's pretty close to the right spot and it's not wobbly anymore.

I ordered a new belt to have ready for when this one pops. If the tracking is an issue I'll crown it slightly where it needs to ride.

The stacked leather pully is something new to me. Very grippy, I suppose. Interesting.

The timeline of the Mulliner Enlund lathe is a bit interesting. The lathe was built around 1917 to 1919. The gearbox was bought by a Cleveland company in February of 1940. The Bison chuck is from 1959.

The lathe doesn't have the same layers of paint as the gearbox so I'm assuming that it was added much later. I'd guess that the gearbox was bought used around the time the chuck was bought in 1959. There is so little wear on the lathe that I doubt it's been used at all since the chuck was new.

Back