Beautiful old American Iron and Steel

I finally ordered the proper SAE140 oil the lathe instructions called for. It appears the newer CJ lathes call for turbine oil .

The 85w-140 I was using ends up full of air bubbles. I don't know if it was designed for splash lubrication like in this lathe.

There was a thick layer of steel sludge in the bottom of the gearbox when I replaced the oil the first time. I flushed it the best I could. I even put a magnet in the bottom to draw some oil out of the circulating oil.

Today I pulled the magnet and got quite a bit more metal sludge out. I used a telescoping magnet and pulled some more out. Then I flushed with old diesel fuel and used low pressure compressed air to move more sludge out the drain.

I have new oil coming tomorrow. The bottom of the gearbox is really a ton cleaner. Almost devoid of metal shimmer on the rough cast iron. I put the magnet into a tiny zip lock and back into the bottom of the gearbox.

I'm dying to get the correct oil into the gearbox and seeing if she runs quieter or smoother.

My brother in law just bid on a really beautiful flat belt 12x36 at an auction and won it but he hasn't told me how much he paid yet.....crossing my fingers!

The Mulliner Enlund Tool Company had a very short life. Basically 1917 to 1919. I'll average it out and figure it is from 1918. I'll do more research once I'm done working my butt off.

I moved my very heavy drill press, my HF mill/drill, and my surface grinder. I moved a 6' long grinder bench out of my fab shop to make room for the machines I had to relocate. It's tight but it will be fine. Lol!

I'm hoping to bring it home tomorrow. It's going to suck getting it off the trailer by myself. It's a big girl.....

Nice addition. Little clean up and it’ll be fine.

Careful on those legs. Maybe put it up on some 4x4s runners? Unless you have a vertical lifting apparatus.

Take your time and work carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a beautiful old lathe. :)

I'm really tired and extremely pleased.

20240517_160602.jpg20240517_160629.jpg

20240517_164949.jpg

All the rust on the ways will be gone tomorrow. There is some grinding in the feed gears when I move the carriage. I don't know how the two round handles work so they could be in the wrong position. I'm going to try and find a manual.

I need help. There is a round knob in the middle of the carriage wheel and another in the middle of the carriage. What do they both do?

I know the knob in the carriage hand wheel is a clutch. I don't know if the one in the middle is as well. It won't move so it might be stuck.

Anyone know of a manual for the old girl? I need to get lucky and find a thread dial too.20240517_160602.jpg20240517_185917.jpg

Last edited:
Given that the clutch knob has flutes (for gripping ease) and the other doesn't, I wonder if the other is a push-pull control.
Just thinking out loud.

Back