Brake rotors and State Inspection

Don't be surprised if your answer from the DMV involves waking up with a bloody horse head in bed next to you.

I don't think the rust rings have anything to do with the effectiveness or useful life of the rotors. I think it is simply a matter of at least 1 in 4 customers paying the $700 to the inspectors for the brake job.
I didn't share the vehicle or dealers name. I don't care that it failed really. All I want to know is the definitive rule and what the standards are. One could say this is the public's right to know.

For the second paragraph, I agree. There's tons of swept area, don't think there was much loss. Think it's a wink wink deal with the inspectors and their employers.

Finally passed inspection! This dealership seems to be into social media, or some such hooey. They're bound to ask me what I thought of my experience. I'll let them know.

The service writer was surprised I was back "so soon". I responded, "why fool around"? I just wanted to get the job done.

Now I need to start looking for another vehicle. It's lived out it's usefulness for me. Time for something else. Not sure what that will be. Maybe that's a different thread.

Finally passed inspection! This dealership seems to be into social media, or some such hooey. They're bound to ask me what I thought of my experience. I'll let them know.

The service writer was surprised I was back "so soon". I responded, "why fool around"? I just wanted to get the job done.

Now I need to start looking for another vehicle. It's lived out it's usefulness for me. Time for something else. Not sure what that will be. Maybe that's a different thread.

Congratulations on the quick turn around and passing!

Don't let the inspectors convince you that you need a new vehicle! That is kind of letting them win!

If you are going to get a new vehicle regardless what do you have now and what do you want in a new vehicle?

Congratulations on the quick turn around and passing!

Don't let the inspectors convince you that you need a new vehicle! That is kind of letting them win!

If you are going to get a new vehicle regardless what do you have now and what do you want in a new vehicle?
Not letting them win. I'm bored with this car, and I don't want to spend money on it. The tires make noise although there's plenty of tread. It's another $600 I'm trying to not spend on the vehicle.

Have a decent 2015 Subaru Legacy premium leather interior, eye sight and blind spot detection. It's fine, but after 9 years it's time to move on. I'd like something more fun and economical to drive. The Legacy gets terrible in city mileage. Didn't matter that much when I was working, but being retired, I'm looking for lower running costs.

I loved my bug-eye WRX, but it wasn't good on gas. Had a great suspension and handling. I don't need a truck. A small SUV or sedan or hatchback would do. Don't want a rattle can. Hybrid is ok with me. Open to suggestions. I have a busted Miata that I'm fixing up, that I'd dearly love to get going again. In the middle of a stalled engine rebuild.

At this point I want some decent transportation that I can take on 8 hour trips if need be at a reasonable cost. Been mulling this over for a while, need to get moving on it. The current car just makes me unhappy for multiple reasons. Time for a change.

Not letting them win. I'm bored with this car, and I don't want to spend money on it. The tires make noise although there's plenty of tread. It's another $600 I'm trying to not spend on the vehicle.

Have a decent 2015 Subaru Legacy premium leather interior, eye sight and blind spot detection. It's fine, but after 9 years it's time to move on. I'd like something more fun and economical to drive. The Legacy gets terrible in city mileage. Didn't matter that much when I was working, but being retired, I'm looking for lower running costs.

I loved my bug-eye WRX, but it wasn't good on gas. Had a great suspension and handling. I don't need a truck. A small SUV or sedan or hatchback would do. Don't want a rattle can. Hybrid is ok with me. Open to suggestions. I have a busted Miata that I'm fixing up, that I'd dearly love to get going again. In the middle of a stalled engine rebuild.

At this point I want some decent transportation that I can take on 8 hour trips if need be at a reasonable cost. Been mulling this over for a while, need to get moving on it. The current car just makes me unhappy for multiple reasons. Time for a change.
I'll assume you hit over 100k and had the head gaskets replaced already. I don't like the Subaru for that and other reasons. In my mind, they require too much maint for what they are. They are awesome in snow though.

I'll assume you hit over 100k and had the head gaskets replaced already. I don't like the Subaru for that and other reasons. In my mind, they require too much maint for what they are. They are awesome in snow though.
Actually not yet, at 72K right now, but yeah Subaru and head gaskets are a thing. It was awesome in the snow. Never had to worry about commuting. I don't need that now. Just want to get out of it before it gets expensive. There comes a point in the life cycle of a vehicle when you need to move on. At least for this one, it's time. All my life I've kept cars for quite a while, 10 years plus, and sometimes it was too long. So this one needs to move on.

Actually not yet, at 72K right now, but yeah Subaru and head gaskets are a thing. It was awesome in the snow. Never had to worry about commuting. I don't need that now. Just want to get out of it before it gets expensive. There comes a point in the life cycle of a vehicle when you need to move on. At least for this one, it's time. All my life I've kept cars for quite a while, 10 years plus, and sometimes it was too long. So this one needs to move on.
and wheel bearings, and clutches (flying apart) and wheel bearings, did I mention wheel bearings :rolleyes:

edit: and while I'm mentioning wheel bearings, it always wiped the hub out. SO HUBS

and wheel bearings, and clutches (flying apart) and wheel bearings, did I mention wheel bearings :rolleyes:

edit: and while I'm mentioning wheel bearings, it always wiped the hub out. SO HUBS
Well this dealership did tell me I had a wheel bearing problem. I thought, umm, maybe, although there's no symptoms of it. Once I found out they wanted over $200/wheel, (custom bearings and hubs are an assembly, or couldn't find separate pieces) I said no. I thought I'd be able to press in bearings myself. Nope.

Nine months later - I still have tire noise, but no evidence of wheel bearing issues. So the sooner I get rid of this (soon to be needy vehicle) the better. I've had a bit too much maintenance on my Subies. On the other hand, I simply loved my 2002 WRX wagon. That was fun.

I'm looking for something fun, and somewhat economical for operating costs. That's my hope. Oh yeah, it has to have decent visibility, meaning I have a clear view in nearly every direction. I've been in some cars and hatches where the visibility is dangerous.

<opinion alert>Subaru is the Huffy of the car world. If you don't know Huffy, then Mongoose- or whatever gaspipe-framed bicycles Costco sells now. They're heavy, inefficient, and sluggish. AWD maintenance intervals hurt your savings account like nothing else. And much of the service parts are only available through the stealership. And flat four head gaskets... and flat four powerband... and the flat four exhaust note... sorry baby, my chub has gone soft.

Tale those rotors and your micrometer to the DMV and ask them to inspect them.

They were above the minimum so not failing.

If DMV passes them, file complaint right there as you have the evidence right there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back