Dial indicator repair

Nubble

Registered
Registered
So I have three identical dial indicators, I am unsure as to who made them and they're probably not worth trying to save but I got them for free and figured that they would give me some good insight into how to fix these if I ever get some used dial indicators from Federal or any other brands. Right now I just want to get them apart and clean them make sure they're working properly but I have no idea how to get the front bezel off so I can get rid of the water that is stuck inside them...
20240511_112535.jpg20240511_112549.jpg

Repair would cost much more than replacement, if they would even touch them.
You can buy a cheap one of those for $15, a decent quality one for $50

Oh I have other dial indicators I just wanted to see if I could fix them, they all move in return just fine it's just I need to get the water out of them

I have seen indicators that provide for bezel removal by means of a little milled niche on the backside of the bezel which allows a tool to be inserted to pop our the lock ring that retains the bezel, sometimes it is necessary to work the end of the lockring around to the niche with a pointy tool to get it started coming out.

Nubble, go for it. If nothing else, this is a learning experience. Heck, if things go well, you may have a working instrument. May I suggest you look up Blondihacks, she has a utube on repairing dial indicators. Also, last I checked, Clickspring latest project is to make a dial indicator.

I have seen indicators that provide for bezel removal by means of a little milled niche on the backside of the bezel which allows a tool to be inserted to pop our the lock ring that retains the bezel, sometimes it is necessary to work the end of the lockring around to the niche with a pointy tool to get it started coming out.
Good for you trying to fix something. This is the only post that helps. If his suggestion doesn't work, look on the inside for a spring. Save the Evaporust. Even if they turn out to be junk.

Loosen the circled screw, the slide the tab back. This will release the bezel. Use a lot of care when you lift the bezel as you could bend the indicator hand.

You need to lift slightly and slide off the side.

IMG_0385.jpeg

Back