Drawing standards reference for steel/machining

This is the book I use, I bought it on www.abebooks.com for a few bucks. You can usually find a variety of versions at various price levels.View attachment 489089
Came to recommend Giesecke. He has a newer CAD-based book out (not that that changes the standards...). It's in the umpteenth edition already so presumable some early editions might be had cheaply.

GsT

I ordered one right after you posted it. it looks like exactly what i'm after. i was certain there was a textbook on this and you found it. i would have searched for days wading through half-measures and misleading titles.

This is the book I use, I bought it on www.abebooks.com for a few bucks. You can usually find a variety of versions at various price levels.View attachment 489089
That is the one book that I've kept from my tech school days, about 1988, and I still look for things in it. Well, this one and Machinery's Handbook 22nd Ed..

Attachments

• bookshelf.jpg
    bookshelf.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That is the one book that I've kept from my tech school days, about 1988, and I still look for things in it. Well, this one and Machinery's Handbook 22nd Ed..
I bought it on a recommendation from a forum somewhere many years ago, I use it frequently and I didn’t realize how good of a reference it was when I ordered it. GeneT45 has piqued my interest in the book he mentioned, I might need to get that one too and see which I like better.

I bought the CD edition of Machinery’s Handbook many years ago when I was a field engineer, it was nice having it on my laptop no matter where I was. I printed out the most used pages and keep them in a binder in my shop, the larger print is nice, and I don’t care if the pages get dirty, I just reprint it.

I like @ChazzC's second download that he posted. Listed as dimensioning standards.

Also, I do believe most CAD programs have the correct dimensioning standards built into them, so when you make a drawing from a part or assembly and dimension it, the correct symbols will be available to you. The biggest trick is the placement of dimensions to make the drawing easy to decipher.

This is the book I used my third year of drafting 80-81 in high school, it is a manual drafting book, old but it has the real basics in it which still apply such as line types and weights, symbols, the different dimension type and lots of examples and exercises to help you understand the languge of drafting.

1715106833911.jpeg

I like @ChazzC's second download that he posted. Listed as dimensioning standards.

Also, I do believe most CAD programs have the correct dimensioning standards built into them, so when you make a drawing from a part or assembly and dimension it, the correct symbols will be available to you. The biggest trick is the placement of dimensions to make the drawing easy to decipher.
When a drafter is talking to me and says "that's the way the program does it" I go into a melt down. CAD is a tool written by people who program for a living, its the responsibility of the drafter to hone it to get the proper and correct out put.... errrrrr of coarse true draftsmen are rare now, its a dying art.

When a drafter is talking to me and says "that's the way the program does it" I go into a melt down. CAD is a tool written by people who program for a living, its the responsibility of the drafter to hone it to get the proper and correct out put.... errrrrr of coarse true draftsmen are rare now, its a dying art.
That reminds me of a local retired machinist I met about 20 years ago through another forum. He was doing work for a local company making parts for their production machinery, the young engineers frequently sent him drawings with tolerances to tenths and used the same excuse, that’s what the program did. He had to do a training class for them to understand dimensions have meaning and can drastically affect the cost. At least they were willing to learn.

That reminds me of a local retired machinist I met about 20 years ago through another forum. He was doing work for a local company making parts for their production machinery, the young engineers frequently sent him drawings with tolerances to tenths and used the same excuse, that’s what the program did. He had to do a training class for them to understand dimensions have meaning and can drastically affect the cost. At least they were willing to learn.
Seen that as well. In fact no CAD program that I've used (including heavy hitters like SolidWorks) make you adhere to any standard, nor even warn you when you deviate. They provide the paintbrush, the pencil, the pen, the triangle, and the T-square. It's still up to the person doing the drawing to make it conform to some standard.

GsT

This is the book I used my third year of drafting 80-81 in high school, it is a manual drafting book, old but it has the real basics in it which still apply such as line types and weights, symbols, the different dimension type and lots of examples and exercises to help you understand the languge of drafting.

View attachment 489322
I have that same book, from college 82-84. still on my shelf. I haven't needed in years but I used to refer to it regularly.

Back