First Order Retrieve-ability

I think this thread must have got around a bit. I'm not narcissistic enough to think everything is about me, but this video hit pretty close to home.

At the end of the video she mentions "mental and physical negative externalities" and clutter and tools getting dirty. Lol!

I totally get what she is saying. I don't like visual diarrhea in my work spaces. I do not feel that way with my tools easily available in reasonable storage. If I put all the stuff I am going to show into drawers I'd loose a ton of floor space. The dirt hasn't been a huge issue.

My lathe and the storage next to it passing behind the knee mill. 20240505_133602.jpg

20240505_133446.jpg

20240505_133457.jpg

All this is first order retrieve-ability. The shelf that wad in the first post.

20240505_133522.jpg

Moved my straight shank drill bits closer to where they will be used on the big lathe.

20240505_130154.jpg20240505_133547.jpg

Adam Savage calls it his "flow state". I love not having to break my concentration to retrieve stuff.

I am desperately trying to achieve a flow state in my shop!
@Batmanacw Yours looks great!

How have you found those bins? I didn't have nearly as many as you but I found that unless I was extra careful, it was far too easy to knock an adjacent bin as I was taking a bin off to get something from it. If I was lucky, it would just dislodge slightly and I'd notice and carefully right it again.

If I was unlucky, I'd notice, attempt to right it and knock it off, scattering everything in it on the floor.

If I was a bit more unlucky, I'd notice, attempt to right it and knock it off, scattering everything in it partly on the floor and far more awfully, partly into other bins.

If I was really unlucky, I'd not notice, try to put the original bin back, properly dislodge the other bin, attempt to stop it falling, resulting in me scattering everything in both bins on the floor and other bins, which could cause a cascade of dislodgement and an apocalyptic descent into entropy and madness.

I have just passed on the wall hangers and bins to a work colleague. I wish them the very best of luck.

I have replaced them with (currently) one Raaco 60 drawer unit on the wall:

20240505_140434.jpg

I reckon I'll get another two. One to put more metric fastners and the non-metric fasteners I've accumulated in, and the other to move my taps and dies out from the rather dirty, battered drawer units they're in to.

20240506_001254.jpg

I'll probably clean up those old units and get some more drawers to fill the spaces left by broken drawers. Eh, nobody ever said "Damn! I appear to have too much storage!" ;)

How have you found those bins? I didn't have nearly as many as you but I found that unless I was extra careful, it was far too easy to knock an adjacent bin as I was taking a bin off to get something from it. If I was lucky, it would just dislodge slightly and I'd notice and carefully right it again.

If I was unlucky, I'd notice, attempt to right it and knock it off, scattering everything in it on the floor.

If I was a bit more unlucky, I'd notice, attempt to right it and knock it off, scattering everything in it partly on the floor and far more awfully, partly into other bins.

If I was really unlucky, I'd not notice, try to put the original bin back, properly dislodge the other bin, attempt to stop it falling, resulting in me scattering everything in both bins on the floor and other bins, which could cause a cascade of dislodgement and an apocalyptic descent into entropy and madness.

I have just passed on the wall hangers and bins to a work colleague. I wish them the very best of luck.

I have replaced them with (currently) one Raaco 60 drawer unit on the wall:

View attachment 489147

I reckon I'll get another two. One to put more metric fastners and the non-metric fasteners I've accumulated in, and the other to move my taps and dies out from the rather dirty, battered drawer units they're in to.

View attachment 489148

I'll probably clean up those old units and get some more drawers to fill the spaces left by broken drawers. Eh, nobody ever said "Damn! I appear to have too much storage!" ;)
I've knocked off a couple but not too often. These are Akro-Mils. I bought the Durham wall louvres.

I haven't been able to sit through Adam Savage videos. He talks way too much without actually saying anything. I have tried to give him a chance many times if for no other reason than my daughter growing up watching Myth Busters with me.

I think I might have a better attention span watching Kari Byron youtube videos.

I haven't been able to sit through Adam Savage videos. He talks way too much without actually saying anything. I have tried to give him a chance many times if for no other reason than my daughter growing up watching Myth Busters with me.

I think I might have a better attention span watching Kari Byron youtube videos.
Yeah, he has diagnosed ADHD. It's not an uncommon neurodiversity in creatives.

I think he said he has meds but that doesn't solve the problem of years of building 'mental-muscle-memory' before the medication; that requires unlearning those cognitive habits and it's nigh on impossible to erase all of those ruts you've made in your brain.

Also it appears that a fair number of people choose to take their meds only during their working days and since he makes a lot of these videos at the weekend, we might be seeing him unmedicated.

I do agree, though. It can be a frustrating experience watching his videos. I certainly don't watch them for the fundamentals of machining; as Adam freely admits he's not any kind of authority on machining.

Back