First time milling ER32 collet size question

A Count would be my guess.
Eh??

All I can say is that I have not noticed any problems with anything in using my collets with the standard nut.

Personally, I found the non-bearing nut rather less than perfect as it would bind early and not give proper clamping on the collet.

The plain nut would allow anything within the collet to slip be that bar stock or an end-mill. These are not "cheap" collets either. The bearing nut solved that issue completely.

I don't know how widespread the practice of using a torque wrench is in hobby work. But in my commercial shop the tool holder was mounted in a bench fixture, tool inserted then using a torque wrench tightened to the recommended level. The tool was then measured and entered into the machine computer for the tool changer location it was to be used in. Techniques system, tool holders and plain nut. Collets wear so they are replaced on a regular basis.

@drwho Looks a nice nut to be fair.

All I can say is that I have not noticed any problems with anything in using my collets with the standard nut.

Two examples of why a bearing nut is better...

Last edited:
Just purchased one and a half wrench to go with it.

You will notice a difference when using it. Just be careful with thin wall tube... Only time I would ever say use the non-bearing nut to avoid crushing the work.

Back