G9972Z DRO and Brushless VFD mods

All the extra stepped pulleys just get in the way. The old motor shaft size is not relevant.
What is the size of the spindle shaft? Remove the spindle drive pulley and measure it where the pulley used to be.
Which one do you mean by "spindle drive pulley"? The one on the top left with the toothed belt? Thanks.

That would require a larger spindle toothed pulley and complete re-figure on motor pulley/ratio as well.
I do not have them and the MOQ is at least 100 pcs.
I would stick with the spindle pulley it has + go direct from motor to spindle.
How wide is the belt?
What is the OD of each of the three steps on the spindle pulley?

Last edited:
Something to consider:
If you make it, we are interested in the finished system.
For a physical copy of the motor mount + a suitable 5 minuet video, 1/2 dozen suitable images and some specs;
We would refund your purchase of the motor and pulley.
Optionally we would list your parts on are site for free.
Where as customers buy your motor mount directly from you and our motor direct from us.

That would require a larger spindle toothed pulley and complete re-figure on motor pulley/ratio as well.
I do not have them and the MOQ is at least 100 pcs.
I would stick with the spindle pulley it has + go direct from motor to spindle.
How wide is the belt?
What is the OD of each of the three steps on the spindle pulley?
The belt at the top looks like 10mm or 3/8".

The OD of the three steps are approximately:
65.9mm
100.6mm
119.7mm

Many of this style lathe the toothed belt is used for low speeds and connected to the spindle by a v belt not seen in your images.
In other words it will no longer be required with a motor capable of running speeds as low as 300 rpm
Some the toothed belt is required. I cannot tell from images alone.
If its not required, leave it disconnected or remove it entirely.
Use this motor: https://www.servomotorkit.com/produ...river-2hp-16-nm-torque-strait-shaft-flat-face
Use this pulley: https://www.servomotorkit.com/produ...for-10-mm-wide-belts-15-mm-bore-5-mm-key-fits
Make your own side mount. I have a kit just have not found time to list it. Besides most will have the metal required and not want to buy more small pieces at retail prices.

The motor rpm is 300 to 3,000 RPM.
Resulting estimated spindle speeds:

60 mm pulley motor to 119 mm pulley on spindle:
Spindle runs 160 RPM through 1,600 RPM That is all I personally would ever use.
slower is possible by running the motor at 200 rpm but I do not recommend it.

60 mm pulley to 100 mm pulley: 180 to 1,800

60 to 65: 290 to 2,900

I see no reason to even consider the next 3 faster spindle speeds.

Many of this style lathe the toothed belt is used for low speeds and connected to the spindle by a v belt not seen in your images.
In other words it will no longer be required with a motor capable of running speeds as low as 300 rpm
Some the toothed belt is required. I cannot tell from images alone.
If its not required, leave it disconnected or remove it entirely.
Use this motor: https://www.servomotorkit.com/produ...river-2hp-16-nm-torque-strait-shaft-flat-face
Use this pulley: https://www.servomotorkit.com/produ...for-10-mm-wide-belts-15-mm-bore-5-mm-key-fits
Make your own side mount. I have a kit just have not found time to list it. Besides most will have the metal required and not want to buy more small pieces at retail prices.

The motor rpm is 300 to 3,000 RPM.
Resulting estimated spindle speeds:

60 mm pulley motor to 119 mm pulley on spindle:
Spindle runs 160 RPM through 1,600 RPM That is all I personally would ever use.
slower is possible by running the motor at 200 rpm but I do not recommend it.

60 mm pulley to 100 mm pulley: 180 to 1,800

60 to 65: 290 to 2,900

I see no reason to even consider the next 3 faster spindle speeds.
Sorry, I screwed up when measuring the pulley before. I was measuring the inside land rather than the outer flange diameter. Here are the correct numbers:
89 mm
123 mm
142 mm

However I think things should still work with either the 89 or 123mm pulley steps.

Are the slots in the motor case sized for standard T-nuts? Wondering how to attach the motor mount. Thanks.

This all looks very similar to the conversion that I did on my G0602. I used a brushed 2.5hp D.C. motor with encoder feedback. Yhe OEM motor qas also a 1hp 120 volt induction motor. The bolt pattern for the OEM motor was 100mm x 120mm.
Motor Saddle.JPG
I also used the OEM motor pulley and my motor was speced at 4080rpm@130 v.d.c. Here are the spindle speeds for the various pulley combinations. The top set is for the OEM motor and the bottom set is for my motor. A 3000 rpm motor would have spindle speeds of about 2/3rds that.

602 Torque.JPG

Back