Granite Surface Plates For A Hobbyist's Shop

Interesting, I just find him to be blunt, I like his content though. Did you ever see the video This old Tony did where he introduced Adam when he was just getting started?
No I don't think I did. I've seem most of the ToT videos (even the ones about pruning:grin:).

Don't suppose you have it saved in your YouTube library do you? If not, do you happen to remember what the video was called or what it was generally about? I can probably find it. :)

No I don't think I did. I've seem most of the ToT videos (even the ones about pruning:grin:).

Don't suppose you have it saved in your YouTube library do you? If not, do you happen to remember what the video was called or what it was generally about? I can probably find it. :)
The best though, was the collab with Wintergatan,

where ToT made a component for the Marble Machine. You need to have seen The Shawshank Redemption to get all the jokes. The ending is very cinematic.

It has cameos from Adam (ScaryMan), Stephan Gotteswinter and one or two others. They mainly popped in to comment (negatively) on whatever ToT was saying or doing. I think Tony said something like "just use the 3-jaw, ain't nobody got time for indicating-in a 4-jaw". Cut to Adam who is of course indicating-in a 4-jaw, who just glowers and grunts. I think Stephan just rolled his eyes, shook his head and sighed.

Plus Meatball the kitten has a hilarious part, watch to the end!

Yes!!!

I should add, that one time, long ago, ABOM79 was on this forum. His tone here was different than you see on his videos, and we agreed to part ways.

For a possible cheap but generic surface plate, is there any Granite countertop places around you. I have a couple drops from my local place that I use. It’s scary how many big pieces they throw away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes!!!

I should add, that one time, long ago, ABOM79 was on this forum. His tone here was different than you see on his videos, and we agreed to part ways.
I have sent him comments in the past and he does seem to be dismissive. Was he a problem here?

For a possible cheap but generic surface plate, is there any Granite countertop places around you. I have a couple drops from my local place that I use. It’s scary how many big pieces they throw away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From everything I've heard, they're not really consistently flat enough; I mean, maybe good enough for scribing horizontals and testing on small parts that aren't critical and the like, but my initial use of the plate will be helping me with another round of fettling and tidying of surfaces on my 7x.

Oh and here in the UK, a lot will charge for cut-offs. That's the small business mind for you in Blighty: deep pockets and short arms. :grin:

From everything I've heard, they're not really consistently flat enough; I mean, maybe good enough for scribing horizontals and testing on small parts that aren't critical and the like, but my initial use of the plate will be helping me with another round of fettling and tidying of surfaces on my 7x.

Oh and here in the UK, a lot will charge for cut-offs. That's the small business mind for you in Blighty: deep pockets and short arms. :grin:
My wifey bought a piece of granite 16"x16"x 1.25"thk from Tandy Leather products for 40 bucks, they sell these for folks to use on a table when they are working with leather shaping tools. Curiosity got the better of me and I put the DTI to it and it's not perfect but +/-.0004 to .0005, so not horrible.

My wifey bought a piece of granite 16"x16"x 1.25"thk from Tandy Leather products for 40 bucks, they sell these for folks to use on a table when they are working with leather shaping tools. Curiosity got the better of me and I put the DTI to it and it's not perfect but +/-.0004 to .0005, so not horrible.
Do you happen to know what the actual product is called? Does it have a specific name, like, I don't know, "Leather Shaping Flat Plate" or something?

where ToT made a component for the Marble Machine. You need to have seen The Shawshank Redemption to get all the jokes. The ending is very cinematic.

It has cameos from Adam (ScaryMan), Stephan Gotteswinter and one or two others. They mainly popped in to comment (negatively) on whatever ToT was saying or doing. I think Tony said something like "just use the 3-jaw, ain't nobody got time for indicating-in a 4-jaw". Cut to Adam who is of course indicating-in a 4-jaw, who just glowers and grunts. I think Stephan just rolled his eyes, shook his head and sighed.

Plus Meatball the kitten has a hilarious part, watch to the end!
Okay, I had not seen that one and it was great.... Thanks

Back