Info on Lodge & Shipley lathe

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello everyone. Got a line on an old lathe and need info and expertise. She’s pretty large and looks neglected but apparently still runs. Not sure of the size , just reads Lodge & Shipley on the side

Hello everyone. Got a line on an old lathe and need info and expertise. She’s pretty large and looks neglected but apparently still runs. Not sure of the size , just reads Lodge & Shipley on the side

If you want a road trip to Michigan, I have a 16” Lodge and Shipley for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, One of my favorites.

If you want a road trip to Michigan, I have a 16” Lodge and Shipley for sale.

Nice, I already have an even bigger Monarch series 60 but that 16 will make someone a great big lathe.

That’s what I needed to know. I don’t mind the elbow grease as long as it’s worth it in the end. It’s pretty rusty and he’s asking $1500 for it. Here’s a few pics

Attachments

• IMG_1737.png
    IMG_1737.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1736.png
    IMG_1736.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1735.png
    IMG_1735.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
That’s what I needed to know. I don’t mind the elbow grease as long as it’s worth it in the end. It’s pretty rusty and he’s asking $1500 for it. Here’s a few pics
That’s getting back there in time. Great historical piece. Usually can find much newer for similar price. All in what you want. Bigger manual lathes usually go reasonably cheap at auction

Dude! Yeah, that's vintage! Line shaft era... looks like a smooth conversion, though. The flat bet splice may drive you nuts. Tick, tick, tick.

Turn it by hand if you can't power it! Oil the holes before rotating.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Do yourself and look elsewhere, that is perhaps a 1920s machine with (presumably) a lot of use, realize that the spindle is a plain bearing type, likely with plenty of wear. price OK, but condition questionable.

That one looks a bit older than one I have. But same price I was asking.

I’ve had one guy asking after listing on Facebook marketplace. But that all I had. I just renewed the listing, so maybe this will be the time.

Incase any one wanted to see it, here is the listing.

The equipment is out there. Just have to be patient sometimes. I bought this lathe part of a package deal, from one of my early childhood mentors estate. Remember watching Vern making chips when I was about 10 years old making hydraulic cylinder parts. 40 years later, im actually doing his last job, before he retired a second time. So when I had a chance to buy some of his personal tools, I did.

Hopefully I’ll get his shaper up and running this summer. I’ve already been using the index mill, I was going to sell, but will probably keep just because of the sentimental value. I already have a bigger lathe, so no need for the lodge and Shipley. Plus not enough room in shop.

Back