Mini lathe cross slide DRO, or sunk cost syndrome

Of course, it all depends on your particular lathe. I had thought about a rotary encoder, but only after I'd run into my DRO's friction-related problem.

As can be seen in the photo, I kept the rotary encoders on my Tail Stock and Compound (easier than reading dials and can set for either inches or mm). The issue with rotary encoders is that you still need to allow for backlash, something that isn’t an issue with scales.

As can be seen in the photo, I kept the rotary encoders on my Tail Stock and Compound (easier than reading dials and can set for either inches or mm). The issue with rotary encoders is that you still need to allow for backlash, something that isn’t an issue with scales.
Exactly. Like the linear scales a lot better for this reason.

Exactly. Like the linear scales a lot better for this reason.
And with TouchDRO you can choose Diameter or Radius for the X-Axis.

My approach on the Mini-Lathe can be easily (?) adapted to use glass scales instead of iGaging.

And with TouchDRO you can choose Diameter or Radius for the X-AxisMy approach on the Mini-Lathe can be easily (?) adapted to use glass scales instead of iGaging.
Do you see any strong arguments for using glass scales over your iGaging setup in a Chinese mini lathe use-case?

Fitting a DRO (it'll be TouchDRO based) will come at some point for me and every time I think about it, I wonder if I should use glass scales or follow your build and use iGaging scales?

Do you see any strong arguments for using glass scales over your iGaging setup in a Chinese mini lathe use-case?

Fitting a DRO (it'll be TouchDRO based) will come at some point for me and every time I think about it, I wonder if I should use glass scales or follow your build and use iGaging scales?

I used iGaging scales for a couple of reasons:

1) Was familiar with them, knew how to cut them to length, they were inexpensive (and had the read head mounting screw locations already documented).

2) Understood the resolution & accuracy limitations, and felt they were within the limits of what could be expected from the Mini-Lathe (and my capabilities).

3) Could get spare scales that could be used on both the Mini-Lathe & Mini-Mill.

If I were doing it again, it would be a toss-up between iGaging & Glass, given the fact that @ycroosh is no longer supporting iGaging (adapters no longer available - or won’t be once current stock is depleted; I already have a spare).

Gotta say that I'm not all that surprised by the fact that iGaging DROs aren't going to be supported any longer. They can be very problematic. It's a pity because I believe most of their problems could be overcome using better designs. I'm speaking as an electrical engineer in this regard. But a well-designed system would almost certainly cost more, and, to be honest. it appears to me that iGaging is after the low end of the market.....

Gotta say that I'm not all that surprised by the fact that iGaging DROs aren't going to be supported any longer. They can be very problematic. It's a pity because I believe most of their problems could be overcome using better designs. I'm speaking as an electrical engineer in this regard. But a well-designed system would almost certainly cost more, and, to be honest. it appears to me that iGaging is after the low end of the market.....

iGaging got a lot of bad press (so to speak) with the early Aluminum scales and some sketchy early installations that didn’t include rigid mounts. However, there were a few who got very good results using shop-built mounts (Frank Hoose did one). The SS Absolute Plus series were a significant improvement, but lack of consistency and a “spirit of independence” on the part of iGaging (and the availability of more accurate scales becoming available at comparable cost) is what I believe lead to Yuriy’s retiring the capacitive scale adapters; I think he also wants to concentrate on systems that will work with more sophisticated installs to take advantage of the power that the TouchDRO App can deliver.

I can say that out of six SS scales that I bought I only had problems with one (that I didn’t test until it was out of warranty). I used the stock pressed sheet metal scale mounts with pretty simple methods for mounting the read heads and after 3 years the ones on my Mini-Mill (July-August 2021 The Home Shop Machinist) are still calibrated (verified when I upgraded the tablet running TouchDRO a few months back).

I used iGaging scales for a couple of reasons:

1) Was familiar with them, knew how to cut them to length, they were inexpensive (and had the read head mounting screw locations already documented).

2) Understood the resolution & accuracy limitations, and felt they were within the limits of what could be expected from the Mini-Lathe (and my capabilities).

3) Could get spare scales that could be used on both the Mini-Lathe & Mini-Mill.

If I were doing it again, it would be a toss-up between iGaging & Glass, given the fact that @ycroosh is no longer supporting iGaging (adapters no longer available - or won’t be once current stock is depleted; I already have a spare).
I think it'll have to be glass (or for the cross slide maybe magnetic, I have a vague impression it's easier to get a slimmer magnetic read head than an optical one; eh, I'll go read Yuriy's articles again) as Yuriy's doesnt appear to be selling the separate iGaging adapter at all any more (don't blame him either; supporting something complex like a fully featured DRO is a big and PITA enough of a job without the complications of also supporting an iGaging-specific version of the hardware).

It's probably for the best since it'll be nice to have all the bells and whistles of TouchDRO Plus and ongoing upgrade capabilities.

I think it'll have to be glass (or for the cross slide maybe magnetic, I have a vague impression it's easier to get a slimmer magnetic read head than an optical one; eh, I'll go read Yuriy's articles again) as Yuriy's doesnt appear to be selling the separate iGaging adapter at all any more (don't blame him either; supporting something complex like a fully featured DRO is a big and PITA enough of a job without the complications of also supporting an iGaging-specific version of the hardware).

It's probably for the best since it'll be nice to have all the bells and whistles of TouchDRO Plus and ongoing upgrade capabilities.
I'd have to look back to see if I have a message from Yuriy, or if it were just in one of Yuriy's posts (or may have been noted in his Toy Store, before it was discontinued) about not making anymore of the iGaging adapters: IIRC, it was due to the limited demand, cost of boards, populating them, etc. That's why I bought a spare after I added the scales to my lathe: last thing I wanted was for one of my adapters to go south due to a surge (or other catastrophic incident).

With regard to glass vs. magnetic, to a degree that depends on the lathe you have and how you will need to sneak the scales into place. Z-Axis usually isn't an issue, but X- (and "Y-" if you add to the compound) can be tricky. Take a look at how Stefan mounted Aikron™ AKS Slim Linear scales to his new Weiler Primus lathe:

If you don't plan on using flood coolant, you shouldn't have any issues with glass scales. I have read that magnetic scales can be an issue if located too close to the "swarf zone" and you are machining steel (or worse, cast iron with it's dust), but don'y have any experience to say one way or another.

Back