My eviction notice

Bees were last year for me . This year was a mouse on the porch . I put a 40 lb bag of birdfeed on for one night and the darn mouse chewed a hole in it . Put out a trap and got his arse last night . My moral of the story ......................................the early bird gets the worm , the second mouse gets the peanut . :encourage:

The ground squirrels here will attack a bag left outside within minutes - any bag, but especially anything like food. They like cardboard too, so a box left on the porch (e.g. by UPS) will seldom go unmolested for more than 30 minutes.

Fortunately we are out of the realm of mud daubers and yellow jackets. In Oregon it was a different story. 'Daubers never bothered me much, because they never seemed very aggressive. Yellow jackets, OTOH, could ruin your day if you found a nest accidentally... I don't miss either of them, but I imagine I could get along with mud daubers if I had to.

GsT

ETA: Glad to see that it's you evicting pests. Seeing the title of this thread I thought perhaps you were being evicted...

When I lived in the valley, we had "paper wasps", the ones that build nests under your eves. I went to great lengths to eradicate them. Now that I live in yellowjacket country, I couldn't care less about the paper wasps. Shortly after moving up here I was out clearing brush and stepped on a nest. Got stung several times around the eyes. A week or so later, once I'd recovered, I went out at night, covered the nest with a large piece of clear poly and covered the edges with dirt. It took almost two weeks for them all to die. It was SWEET!

Here's one of my favorite videos on this subject.

When I lived in the valley, we had "paper wasps", the ones that build nests under your eves. I went to great lengths to eradicate them. Now that I live in yellowjacket country, I couldn't care less about the paper wasps. Shortly after moving up here I was out clearing brush and stepped on a nest. Got stung several times around the eyes. A week or so later, once I'd recovered, I went out at night, covered the nest with a large piece of clear poly and covered the edges with dirt. It took almost two weeks for them all to die. It was SWEET!

Here's one of my favorite videos on this subject.

Video is hilarious. I've had an on going battle with the Mud Daubers for almost 39 years now. I would much rather have the wasp. Mud daubers are very very destructive. I have replaced the motor on my air compressor 3 times because they build their mud nest inside the motors. Now all my motors have screen wire covering the air intakes. Same with my welding machine. I since bought a 2 stage Ingersol rand compressor in in less than 2 weeks they destroyed the motor on it. that one was over $300 usd to replace. So just in aircompressor motors alone I have spent over $900. My soultion to the Wasp is to put Apple Juice and Boric acid in a empty bottle with a piece of a stick or tree limb sticking out the top of it. The wasp will crawl down the stick and get a drink and take it back to their nest and feed their families thus killing the entire colony. I am currently in an ongoing battle with fire ants. I am using powdered sugar and Boric Acid. Theory is they will take it down inside the nest and kill the queen with it. Don't know how well it works but the trick with the wasp seems to have almost totally eliminated them.

Mud Daubers are in the same category as Cockroaches. True survivors. I've tried everything from Mothballs to sticky fly paper traps. I kid you not the Mud Daubers built a mud nest in the spout of my gas can and it was full yes full 5 gallons of gas in it. they hate me and I hate them. They would spit mud balls on my Corvette jus to let me know how much they hate me. One time one flew inside of my eyeglasses and put a mud ball on my nose!

I even built an insect proof room to put my machine tools in to keep them from destroying them.

The only escape is to move away and hope they don't find where I live.

While building the shop we had an old Towmotor forklift to lift and hold the beams and other uses.

The truck was parked in the center of the shop and I got in and started it to move it, the load safety cage pipes were full of paper wasp nests, they came swarming out and got both arms many times.

Looked like Popeye for about a week!

Wasp spray worked well...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Sympathies! Mud daubers are so aggravating! Yellow jackets aren’t as annoying but for me, more dangerous because I’m allergic and it’s one of those things that gets worse with every sting. First thing I did when I started reading your post was look at your location. No surprise that you’re in Texas too, even if it’s a very different climate from the coast. Those beggars are everywhere. Not sure why but they aren’t as bad in my garage as they were 4-5 years ago.

"Mud daubers" sounds so aristocratic. I grew up knowing them as dirt dobbers.

Tom

I was filling up bowls daily like this last year with the shop vac . :(

OK , what did I do to change my lettering ????? :dunno:

Attachments

• IMG_9867.JPG
    IMG_9867.JPG
    593.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9869.JPG
    IMG_9869.JPG
    584.3 KB · Views: 10
OK , what did I do to change my lettering ????? :dunno:
You accidentally clicked on the upper case "I" in the tool bar before you typed your message?

Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 8.42.04 AM.png
Tom

Last edited:
Back