Need info on Bridgeport

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all. Going to look at a Bridgeport this evening and was hoping to get some info on it. I will post a picture of it. He is asking $3500 but may be able to work a deal with him. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Attachments

• IMG_1744.png
    IMG_1744.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
Seem like too much money, BUT prices vary. Here in So. California $2500 max for me or even less. I got my J head BUT on round ram for $500.

Doesn't look like it was well cared for...lemme tell ya, cleanup is not expensive but parts are. If anything is broken or missing it's plenty of money and the unseen is not cheap either. I just spent about $600 on bearings for the spindle and upper sheave area on mine. I have absolutely no regrets, but just be ready...

Doesn't look like it was well cared for...lemme tell ya, cleanup is not expensive but parts are. If anything is broken or missing it's plenty of money and the unseen is not cheap either. I just spent about $600 on bearings for the spindle and upper sheave area on mine. I have absolutely no regrets, but just be ready...
lol, I understand. Just tired of using the cheap Chinese mill I have now. At least with a Bridgeport you have something to start with. With a little tlc they can hold their value as well. I thought it was way overpriced myself. Gonna take a closer look. I will let you guys know how it goes

IMO, it's rusty and neglected. That seems like a pretty high price, but prices are regional.

Power feed on X, DRO, some collets but no vise. That's a really old DRO, so there probably won't be parts available if something breaks. I ended up replacing my DRO and scales because it was the least expensive option.

I'd rather have a variable speed Reeves drive than a step pulley, but not everybody feels that way. Power feed on the quill is good, and it appears to have a low range, which is also good.

Is it single phase or 3 phase? If 3 does it come with some sort of converter?

IMO, it's rusty and neglected. That seems like a pretty high price, but prices are regional.

Power feed on X, DRO, some collets but no vise. That's a really old DRO, so there probably won't be parts available if something breaks. I ended up replacing my DRO and scales because it was the least expensive option.

I'd rather have a variable speed Reeves drive than a step pulley, but not everybody feels that way. Power feed on the quill is good, and it appears to have a low range, which is also good.

Is it single phase or 3 phase? If 3 does it come with some sort of converter?
This.

I would rather have the vari-speed head as its what Ive always had in my career, but the step pully head has less to go wrong and can be converted to vari via a VFD.

Based on that poor pic that is a $1500 machine here.

I would agree that in this area the machine would be worth between $1,500.00 and $2,000.00. The DRO probably dates back to the late 70's. I believe the X axis power feed is an F model. Both are considered antiques by today's standards. If fails it will probably be more expensive to attempt to repair them than to replace them.

You can tell the age of the machine by cranking the table back on the Y axis. Near the front there should be a serial number stamped on the knee. You can Google the Bridgeport serial numbers to see when it was built. As a point of reference, I purchased a 1 1/2 hp vari drive model in excellent condition with metric and imperial dials, a 6" Bridgeport swivel vise, several collets, and a few end mills (no DRO or power feed) over 20 years ago for $1,600.00.

This is 2024, nothing cost what it did for others.
I think he is looking for 2700.00
I think that it is probably worth that if you can turn on the dro and it works and run the spindle in BOTH ranges without ducking.
The x feed is better than the aftermarket hang ons IF it works

Back