O-rings, where do you get them? 2.5x49mm

In this case the o-ring sits on a ledge, so it is open to the interior. The o-rings sits on the edge of the"shelf" so to speak. Next time I have it open, will take a picture. I know there will be spares, but $15 for an o-ring (to solve the problem) seems like a lot! Anyways, that's how I've accumulated loads of o-rings, bags and bags of them. Bet you can't have just one.:)

In this case the o-ring sits on a ledge, so it is open to the interior. The o-rings sits on the edge of the"shelf" so to speak. Next time I have it open, will take a picture. I know there will be spares, but $15 for an o-ring (to solve the problem) seems like a lot! Anyways, that's how I've accumulated loads of o-rings, bags and bags of them. Bet you can't have just one.:)
I buy them by the box.... LOL

I'd look at McMaster (quick and easy).

If you buy the pack of o rings, you have material for future 2.5mm o rings smaller than 49mm ID so you don't need to buy a pack to get one or two, or you could just get a roll of 2.5mm gasket material and make what you need, depending on what is cheaper.

Do you need to be an industrial customer with Grainger? I thought that was true at one time.
That's an interesting question. I opened an account with Grainger back in the 90's when I had a consulting business, and then changed the name on the account when I changed from a "Fictitious Name,." using my name instead.

Per their Terms of Sale:

Grainger Terms of Sales.png
they sell to both Business Customers and individuals (prices may be different, or there may be some items that only a Business Customer can purchase). You need an account to place an order, but may be able to set one up as an individual).

They do have what you are looking for:

Granger 2_5 x 49mm O-Rings.png
And no shipping if you pick them up.

The back flow valve has a very slow leak at the moment - I'm betting it is this o-ring. It seems the o-ring that is in there is the wrong size. (2.5x50?) I have to sort of persuade the current o-ring into place. I measured the ID and OD of the valve itself, so I'm pretty sure of the size. The lip OD which is pretty easy to measure with calipers is 54mm. The lip is 2.5mm. I probably ought to lube the o-ring with silicone grease to help it out.

It's kind of an art pressurizing these valves. Do it wrong and they sort of chatter. That means lots of water all over the place. If you slowly feed the water to the irrigation system, it works fine. Too bad I seem to forget this (every season)! Yeah, I got wet. Good thing is the valve piece I machined more than a year ago is in great shape.
I used low-voltage actuated sprinkler valves to make a couple of multi-zone watering setups using garden hoses and noticed that the valves will do sort of a chatter thing as they close. So possibly not all that unusual. But that sparks a thought -- maybe you can find what you need at a sprinkler supply place.

Also try a Caterpillar equipment dealer. They can measure any o-ring and probably come up with one that will work.

As mentioned above a good hydraulic store or Cat dealer.In the past I have had success by making my own and using super glue to butt the ends
together.

I used low-voltage actuated sprinkler valves to make a couple of multi-zone watering setups using garden hoses and noticed that the valves will do sort of a chatter thing as they close. So possibly not all that unusual. But that sparks a thought -- maybe you can find what you need at a sprinkler supply place.
The last o-ring came from an irrigation supply place. Unfortunately, that o-ring seems slightly too big in diameter, I suspect it's 50mm, rather than 49. I can call them, but I suspect they look it up in a book, rather than stock by actual size.

Back