Question on choosing an endmill for a project

tominboise

Registered
Registered
I am early in the learning process. I am going to skim cut the ends of 3 X 3 X1/4" angle, A36 steel, to true them up ( I cut them using a band saw). Anyway, I was just going to grab a 1/2" 4 - flute HSS steel end mill and get to work. But I do have larger end mills available. Is there a preference for larger end mills for this type of cut?

20240430_211023.jpg

That’s about what I’d use too.

You will likely find that the unsupported end vibrates excessively when trying to cut it. You can (1) cut in two setups, so that you are always cutting on a clamped section; (2) hold in a v-block of sorts to better support both legs; (3) press the unclamped leg towards the vise with a hand to dampen vibration; or (4) something I haven’t thought of?

… variation of (3): use a block between the unclamped leg and the side of the vise, with a c-clamp compressing the vise, block, and leg together. This is my favorite option so far. :)

It probably makes no difference as far as the job at hand goes, but I tend to grab a face mill for squaring and facing tasks. If anything you can feed it much faster and you can keep your good end mill sharp for another day.

… variation of (3): use a block between the unclamped leg and the side of the vise, with a c-clamp compressing the vise, block, and leg together. This is my favorite option so far. :)
That's a good idea - I will try it.

I am early in the learning process. I am going to skim cut the ends of 3 X 3 X1/4" angle, A36 steel, to true them up ( I cut them using a band saw). Anyway, I was just going to grab a 1/2" 4 - flute HSS steel end mill and get to work. But I do have larger end mills available. Is there a preference for larger end mills for this type of cut?

View attachment 488554
That will do the trick; but as Pontiac428 noted, I have 1" face mill with inserts that I would use for this and save the end mill.

View attachment 488554
Good morning, when I do this I keep the center of the cutter off to the outer edges of the work using a larger diameter cutter. Thanks.

Back