Quote for machine scraping hobby mill.

Scraping the knee and saddle of an aquired 728 took me about 65 hours on a poorly casted and poorly maintained (read:trashed) machine,
Paying for work would have turned the project into a boat anchor .

I want to thank everyone for setting me straight. I think it makes more sense to just buckle down and do the scraping myself.

I'll let you guys know what quotes I get back for information sake.

That's such a good analysis. But I've used some dial indicators to message squareness of table table and head travel etc and it can't hold 0.001 over 6".

Yeah I called grizzly and they really didn't have anything helpful to say.

I've tried my luck at hand scraping and it's very tiring work. I think I'm going to try the angle grinder rotary tool to do the rough scraping passes and finish up with hand scraper. Looks like I'll have to do it myself
Please don't use an angle grinder on it, It will be a boat anchor after that.

Please don't use an angle grinder on it, It will be a boat anchor after that.
If the OP is very diligent, he certainly can do the heavy metal removal with a grinder. Scraping can be done over the ground sections.
I would recommend fine grinding wheels, followed by stoning.
I did it the hard way, scraping out .006” of material (in places)
I would not recommend the hard way unless masochism is your thing.

If the OP is very diligent, he certainly can do the heavy metal removal with a grinder.
He’s using an angle grinder with the intent of removing some fractional measurement of .001” over 6 inches. It’s like using an axe to trim your fingernail. Or better yet, calling your finger useless because the nail is less than .001” longer than you’d prefer. There’s no reason to scrape this machine at all.

I have never seen a Grizzly mill or lathe that had hand scraped ways. If that were a feature, they almost certainly would have listed it in the catalog or on the web site. The only machine that mentioned had scraping was a $16K precision mill.

You should have received a inspection sheet with the mill in which they would have specified the production tolerances and how your machine fared.

If it were my machine, I would be loathe to attempt to scrape it in, particularly with something like an angle grinder. You could end up making things worse.

Right now I have a $2k paper weight and need to have this done.
Plenty of ppl have converted G0704/bf20/King KC20 mills to CNC without scraping. As in add ball screws or even without and then stepper motors.
I recently bought a King KC20, essentially a G0704, didn't even need to tram it before use.

Does yours really need scraping or is just something that someone told you that you need? 0.001" over 6" at the price point is more than decent.

Last edited:
I hope the OP isn't about to embark on this misadventure based on an assessment of .001 over 6" using a $20 dial indicator-base set and a pair of Amazon-sourced 1-2-3 blocks. It would be even worse if the 6" check standard was a budget imported vise with bolt-on jaws. A thousandth of an inch over six could have a number of sources, depending on how it is being measured. Adjusting a gib or trapezoid nuts could be all it takes to make that gap disappear. Heck, cleaning off the cosmoline and oiling the ways might do it. Scraping a Grizzly is an exotic and expensive solution for a "problem" not fully assessed.

Back