[How-To] The Whatever Project, is it appropriate for here?

It's back together. Here's a picture or two.
20240509_171603.jpg20240509_171624.jpg
Still has the ground in grime, but it comes off with a little bit of effort and a brass brush and various solvents. Ready to go back into the Whatever project for fitup and shifter choice.

Checked on the cost of dry ice blasting and it's a little bit spendy. As in above my pay grade spendy. I may have some stuff done down the road, but for the transmission, I'll be spending elbow grease and quality time with some grease cutting stuff and a couple of brass brushes...

Good for exercising the hands. Limbers up the old stiff joints. That's what I'm going to keep telling myself...

Time for an update: and pictures! Cleaned up the garage from the transmission transmutation. Then put the mongrel T5 transmission in the Whatever project. DSCN1949.JPGDSCN1951.JPG In and clears the temporary floorboards. Still have to make or get a shift lever. Hurst sticks will bolt on, and any that have the same bolt pattern as well. I'm thinking about making one regardless so I can get the fit I want.

Here's how my feet fit down in the area of the pedals and transmission.
DSCN1954.JPG Probably need to get snug fitting driving shoes, but I can at least get my size 9-8E feet on the pedals...

Have a couple of Rochester 2G carburetors on the way. Going to try a little nostalgic induction system on the Whatever project. 3-deuces on the small block. Not a lot of machine work required, just a couple of fittings and the linkage for the throttle. I'm reworking the suspension a bit. That's going to require some threaded bosses and bungs. Should be easier with the new to me lathe.

The Atlas lathe has gotten a little bit of a workout, mostly on non-whatever projects. Making a set of tiller things for a Mantis mini tiller right now. All those little projects that would have taken days of toil now take a whole lot less time! And with the garage cleanup I can actually walk around and find stuff!

Whoda thunk it?

Back