Best ball oilers

you're supposed to oil these points every time you use the lathe as they are typically total loss oiling points. plastic plugs not a good idea. thanks.
That’s why you put a piece of felt in the hole to keep all of the oil from running out. Even if you decide to lube & replace the plugs daily, a 300 pack of the plugs will last a month. Just a suggested alternative to getting new ball oilers.

That’s why you put a piece of felt in the hole to keep all of the oil from running out. Even if you decide to lube & replace the plugs daily, a 300 pack of the plugs will last a month. Just a suggested alternative to getting new ball oilers.
the oil is supposed to run out the bottom to oil the cross-feed screw or whatever else it is used for. running out the top isn't a problem. just a bad idea. I do appreciate your participation though.

the oil is supposed to run out the bottom to oil the cross-feed screw or whatever else it is used for. running out the top isn't a problem. just a bad idea. I do appreciate your participation though.
Actually, no it's not a bad idea at all. There are quite a few applications with similar total loss systems that use felt wicks for this very purpose, many of which are more demanding than the screws and the ways/gibs you're talking about on a lathe. Seriously, how heavily loaded is the way or lead screw on a lathe compound? Not very in the grand scheme of things. If it's wet, it's fine...no need to pour an ounce on it every time you use the lathe. They put simple ball oilers on there because it was easy and convenient, not because it was the best way to go.

The felt holds a quantity of oil and allows it to slowly drip down to whatever it's oiling in a controlled fashion rather than just blasting through in a short period of time. Many older lathes use Gits oilers leading to felt wicks around the spindle bearings that are total loss. Many horizontal mill arbors have felt wicks leading to a port over the running bushing that is total loss. Those are just two scenarios that are far more demanding than a lead screw of slow speed, limited travel way and they work perfectly.

I love mcmaster, but would prefer brass...

Amazon : uxcell Brass Push Button Grease Oil Cup 8x8mm Ball Oiler for Lubrication System 20Pcs https://a.co/d/1MFFeOv.

That was a fast Google search for "brass straight ball oiler". Might be other variations of search terms that also show other results of what you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Actually, no it's not a bad idea at all. There are quite a few applications with similar total loss systems that use felt wicks for this very purpose, many of which are more demanding than the screws and the ways/gibs you're talking about on a lathe. Seriously, how heavily loaded is the way or lead screw on a lathe compound? Not very in the grand scheme of things. If it's wet, it's fine...no need to pour an ounce on it every time you use the lathe. They put simple ball oilers on there because it was easy and convenient, not because it was the best way to go.

The felt holds a quantity of oil and allows it to slowly drip down to whatever it's oiling in a controlled fashion rather than just blasting through in a short period of time. Many older lathes use Gits oilers leading to felt wicks around the spindle bearings that are total loss. Many horizontal mill arbors have felt wicks leading to a port over the running bushing that is total loss. Those are just two scenarios that are far more demanding than a lead screw of slow speed, limited travel way and they work perfectly.
I had a SB 9A for 5 years, I replaced all the wicks so I'm familiar with them and have no problems with that system. I have no problem with total loss for some applications at all or with ball oilers. it's the plastic plugs I was not excited about. replacing one every time you oil. how many manufacturers use that system? just looking for some quality ball oilers. I found some NOS GITS on ebay so will probably end up going with those.

Amazon : uxcell Brass Push Button Grease Oil Cup 8x8mm Ball Oiler for Lubrication System 20Pcs https://a.co/d/1MFFeOv.

That was a fast Google search for "brass straight ball oiler". Might be other variations of search terms that also show other results of what you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
saw those as well but they're not the same design as mine. hell, the GITS ones are probably made in china these days.

Saw some on the precision Matthew’s site earlier. Not sure if they would work or if they are total junk

Saw some on the precision Matthew’s site earlier. Not sure if they would work or if they are total junk
thanks, I will check them out. no doubt chinese but I think that Matt does his best to get the best products he can from them. I have one of his milling machines.

Back