10" Grinding Wheel

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just bought this grinder/finisher and am looking for recommendations on what type of wheel to run on the grinder side. I do already have a regular bench grinder with aluminum oxide wheels on it. Seeing that a 10" wheel is going to be an investment what would you recommend?

grinder1.jpg
John

nice buy.
so having a belt, I would think mild steel gets cut on the belt.
I'm assuming HSS on the wheel?
Or do you want to cut carbide?

Assuming HSS, a Radiac white, or pink.

nice buy.
so having a belt, I would think mild steel gets cut on the belt.
I'm assuming HSS on the wheel?
Or do you want to cut carbide?

Assuming HSS, a Radiac white, or pink.
Probably go with ceramic belts and cut both mild and HSS. May want to do carbide, looking at silicon carbide or maybe CBN but might save that for my tool cutter/grinder.

Maybe this one?

John

I think that the green 60 grit would be too coarse for carbide tool work and would wear away quickly, in fact, I would not use one on carbide at all with that grinder. Fo carbide, I'd stick with diamond and use it on the T&C grinder or with face contact wheels on a bench type carbide grinder.I'd stick with a alox wheel on the 10"in a white of pink abrasive of around 100 grit in a fairly hard grade for HSS tool grinding.
I had a Delta 7" triple duty grinder in my shop for perhaps 20 years that had the same white wheels on it for HSS tool grinder; I never had to change them out, when I retired, I bought another one just like it, same wheels, they seem to last forever.

John, I always thought it was harder steel, softer wheel.. softer material or alum, harder wheel...
did I get that wrong?

That is generally quite true, but ease of grinding can be balanced by economy of wheel wear (or lack thereof), I am putting more value on the wheel holding an corner than max material removal in a given time. I was quite surprised with the wheels that came on the grinders so far as lack of rapid wheel wear as opposed to what seemed to be an optimum situation with removal rate and holding a good corner for such as ground in chip breakers. I think we expect white wheels to wear away quickly, but to my eye, it does not have to be that way. I wish that I could remove the wheel and look for a hardness number (letter), but I doubt that any marking would be legible after all these years.

I have a 6” with a MultiTool on one side and a wire wheel on the other. My 8” grinder has coarse and fine wheels. I also have a 6” Baldor clone carbide tool grinder with green and CBN. Personally I can’t live without a wire wheel but YMMV.

I put a wire wheel in my drill press..
On the 3 grinders I have
the 8" is slow grinder with White wheels.
one 6" is 2 gray wheels
one 6" is 2 buffing wheels.

I would like to get a scotchbrite wheel to replace one of the grays. Probably the fine wheel.

Was thinking I'd put a nice grinding wheel on this one and wire wheel on one side and Scotchbrite (convolute) wheel on the other of my dad's old grinder.

I'll take the guard off tonight and get the arbor size so I know what to shoot for. It seems like getting a 10" wheel with a 1" or smaller hole is a challenge.

John

I do have a 3hp 3 phase motor with an arbor that'll take a buffing or convolute wheel too.

Back