1340GT lathe is now alive, thanks to this community!

My bad, I did not pick up on the resistor. Sometimes they are much uglier than this one! Still it is pretty big physically.

Yes, I have run into the non-square surface issue multiple times. Why do that do that?!

One thing I would like to add is a remote frequency readout from the VFD. I'll have RPM on my DRO, but just for grins, I'd like to know the actual frequency I'm running at... being the VFD is enclose, it's not visible to read from it directly. I'm just not sure how to do it yet... not sure if I need to read and convert volts from my 2k pot on the front panel to frequency if that even can work.
So, I can just peek around back to see the actual frequency via the plexiglass enclosure cover. But it does not show up until you start the motor via the VFD! I wanted a way of roughly knowing what the frequency was going to be before I turned the VFD to run the motor. Yes, you can look at a dial on the pot, but it is not so easy to see and sometimes its zero slips. So I set the programing up to scale things to a maximum speed, so that the voltage at the pot was approximately 6 volts when the motor frequency was at 60Hz. At 10 volts it is about 100+ Hz. Then I put in the small display you see on the left in my photo and connected its measurement input to the pot output. It is not perfect as the VFD input to voltage is not quite linear, but is close enough for my purposes. 100Hz may sound like a limitation , but I find that with my gearing I NEVER want to go faster. If anything I want to go slower. At the low gearing and using the 6Hz jog speed, the spindle turns at a barely visible crawl. This is nice as I some times use the lathe to make windings for electromagnets and having the FW and RW Jog is helpful too. Another HM member was also making springs on his lathe. I can see how this slow jog would be useful there as well.

Dave L.

Back