1920s Star 9x4

Mechanik

Registered
Registered
I'm new here. I'm shopping for a small lathe. Preferably old iron. Today I looked at a Star 9x4, mid 1920s by the patent label. It shows minimal wear for an old lathe. Change gears looked new. Funky mechanical reverse/fwd gearbox with a sliding stick control. Ancient looking glass and brass dashpots above the spindle bearings - if there are bearings :) Original cast legs. Both belts old and broken. Minimal extras, just a generic 6" 3 jaw. (not even a tailstock chuck or center). It has a honking big motor - quite old, probably original, 110v, but the owner didn't have it hooked up :( It had a couple of odd aspects:
1. the headstock and tailstock were jacked up on v blocks and gauge blocks about .75" of the bed/ways- to get a bigger swing, no doubt, but it seems to me that would make the whole thing flexy.
2.the half nut was seized open.
Anyone know anything about either of these... issues.
He wants $700. I feel like its a bit much, especially as I have no idea if the motor works or how the bearings are.
Any advice gladly received. thanks

I don't recognise the name. But for what is offered, I would pick it up and get it out of his way for only $100 to me. Plus travel expenses, of course. he might come off for less than $500 if he talks nice to me. For something in that bad of shape, I wouldn't offer him anything. Waiting will pay dividends, your machine is out there. You just have to wait and see.

Sounds like an extremely high price for what you're getting. I'd keep looking unless it's <$100 considering it's not in running condition.

It sounds like you're looking at a Seneca Falls Star #10 or #20.. They were originally line shaft driven machines which accounts for the belt shifting mechanism. Models built in the 1920'swere sold either with or without a motor, but used the same belt shifting mechanism for forward and reverse. The spindle bearings can be either bronze or hardened steel inserts. They use a stack of shims between the cap and body to adjust out excessive play.

You might be able to more closely identify the machine by looking through the catalogs on the Vintage Machinery website:

I have a 1916 Star #20 K model (bench top) machine. It's been in the family since the 1950's and still performs well. Here are a couple pictures for reference:

On Edit: These aren't complicated machines, and almost all parts can be reproduced. I wouldn't be concerned about the riser blocks. They can easily be removed and the headstock and tail stock can be returned to their original positions. One downside of machines of this era is they are slow compared to more modern ones. My Star #20 had a top recommended speed of about 650 rpm. My 1960 Sheldon lathe has a top speed of 2,200 rpm.

$700.00 may be a bit high, but I've seen similar models go for more. Often times people pay top dollar just for the legs. When "Steampunk" was big a pair of legs were selling for over $1,000.00. I doubt you'll get it for $100.00 since the legs and pulleys alone are worth more than that to "artists". If you feel you can bring the machine back to working order I would offer something around $300.00 to $400.00. As for belting it's available from McMaster by the foot. It isn't all that expensive and lasts almost indefinitely. I replaced the belt on mine over 20 years ago and it still looks new.

I occasionally see them being parted out on eBay. To me the asking prices for parts are insane, but they always seem to sell. I put them on my "watch list" just to see how long they last and what they go for. They never seem to last for more than a couple weeks and unless they're in poor shape seem to get the asking price.

Attachments

• DSC00018A.jpg
    DSC00018A.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00019A.jpg
    DSC00019A.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I’d pass. You are in one the most prolific areas on the planet for a used lathe. A better one will be along soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick and informative replies all.
C-Bag -" You are in one the most prolific areas on the planet for a used lathe"
really? Why do you say that? I used to live in Pittsburgh - you couldn't walk for tripping over old machine tools there. I have a feeling LA is 'post-industrial'. I've been following craigslist, there's a lot of inflated prices for old junk. I've seen a few really beat-up southbends, wildly overpriced. Probabaly because Hollywood :(
I'll take all yalls advice and keep poking around. I'm looking at a SB9a today :) Also top dollar but its 1955 (year I was born) and has parts.
thanks
oh, and if you're in my neighborhood and have a machine for me, do let me know :)

Post industrial is where all the manual machines get dumped on the market after they either go out of biz or go CNC. I watch Craigslist from SF down to San Diego and by far the most used stuff is in the LA basin which covers a LOT of area. But like everywhere it’s cyclic and right now seems everywhere there is marginal stuff going for way too much. It’s all supply and demand but as soon as you get in a hurry you are often making a mistake.

Mechanik I’m by no means an expert. Buying a lathe especially around here is a mixed bag with tons of “windage”. And the small lathe/hobby market is in the best of times brutal. We have seen some ridiculous priced lathes lately with insane prices thanks to MrWhoopee. I have seen some different ones myself and any of the well known hobby lathes are going for more than a big industrial lathe often times.

I knew I was not going to need that and went import bypassing that whole thing and just concentrated on what I figured my work envelope was and what my pocketbook could handle. If you gotta have pristine old iron expect to pay what you can buy an import new for. There are exceptions and I hope you find a deal. Just gotta be a virtual vulture ready to go when the deal drops.

Back