1955 Atlas Horizontal Milling Machine Model MFC Serial # 011909

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I just keep finding the old machines!!!!!
i 'm just on a roll !!!
searching earlier in the week i saw an ad on CL for an atlas horizontal mill
i replied to the add and offered a little less than asking price and he accepted!!!
she's in pretty good shape a little cracking of the Zamak handles is evident.
she runs really quietly and operates smoothly under power.
the knee is surprisingly smooth and rigid for a little mill.
i know i'm going to have a blast getting to know her!!!

may i introduce you to Gertrude, my first horizontal mill.

she came with all kinds of cool stuff including a couple more than a dozen cutters and an original Atlas catalog no. M52 and a price sheet from August 1955 when the mill was originally purchased, i'm the second owner.

My mill sold originally in 1955 for $466.70!! some pictures for the interested!

thanks for reading, i welcome questions and comments!

atlas mfc 1.jpg

atlas mfc 2.jpg

an original 1955 Atlas Toolstand came with the unit!!!!!

atlas mfc 3.jpg

atlas mfc 4.jpg

atlas mfc 5.jpg

atlas mfc 6.jpg

atlas mfc 7.jpg

atlas mfc 8.jpg

atlas mfc 9.jpg

atlas mfc 10.jpg

Thanks for reading

atlas mfc 1.jpg atlas mfc 2.jpg atlas mfc 3.jpg atlas mfc 4.jpg atlas mfc 5.jpg atlas mfc 6.jpg atlas mfc 7.jpg atlas mfc 8.jpg atlas mfc 9.jpg atlas mfc 10.jpg

Great find.:man: I never find things like that around here.:angry:

SAH... WEET! Looks like it's in nice shape! And lotsa tooling. Love the base, wish mine had something like that to mount to..

Congrats!

Very nice but not surprising, the A-team can find anything!

On a side note the vise looks like the Huron Milling Attachment vise. -J

Very nice but not surprising, the A-team can find anything!

On a side note the vise looks like the Huron Milling Attachment vise. -J

Thanks Tool-in-the-Box,
i was wondering the manufacturer of the vice.

i have been looking for either a south bend or an atlas mill for over a year.
i found a couple that were way to trashed to consider and let them go.
patience did pay off once again, i found one that didn't appear trashed.
after talking to the owner i was convinced that i had to have it.
we struck a deal and baddabing!!!

i feel like i need to make an offering to Hephaestus for granting me three wishes in the last 30 days.
(2 lathes,both are old but both are nearly unused, and 1 horizontal mill also nearly new)
:lmao:

Wow, that's definitely a keeper! Thanks for posting the photos.

It's amazing how much these machines sold for when they were new. That was a lot of money in 1955.

for those interested i have scanned some pages pertaining to the Atlas Horizontal Mill for catalog # M52
showing specifications,attachments and accessories
enjoy!

Atlas  no M52  Milling Machine0001.jpg
Atlas  no M52  Milling Machine0002.jpg
Atlas  no M52  Milling Machine0003.jpg
Atlas  no M52  Milling Machine0004.jpg

thanks for reading!!

Atlas  no M52  Milling Machine0001.jpg Atlas  no M52  Milling Machine0002.jpg Atlas  no M52  Milling Machine0003.jpg Atlas  no M52  Milling Machine0004.jpg

Your welcome. If I remember right the Huron Milling attachment was sold in kit form.

On a side note, I got one of these mills (same condition as yours) for my father. It actually had the complete automatic coolant attachment in the brochure you posted. Never seen one before finding it. Anyway, he loves the machine, I am sure you will enjoy it. -J

I have one of those too! Same cabinet and all. I added a shelf and doors to the cabinet. I have the original vise, drawbar, and outboard overarm support. That extra overarm support really makes a big difference in the rigidity of the machine. Isuggest that you make one for your mill. When those things appear on ebay they run 250 -275!

Same pricing for the original vise. Looking at the pictures, i could not tell if the power feed kick out piece is there or not. That piece is hard to come by. If you dont have that piece, I can take a picture of it for you.
I also have 7/8 and 1" mandrels. The one inch cutters seem to be more plentiful.

The spindle is MT2. I have a mt2 holder for half inch and three quarter slitting saws. They work ok for very light cuts but i use my larger vertical for anything serious.

Dont overlook the fact that the little mill has a back gear. You need a tool (piece of flat stock 50 thou or so thick, ahalf inch wide and about 6 inches long - with a 45 degree bend about 1 inch fom the end) to reach in on the right side of the spindle to pull the pin. You cannot see it easily.

Good luck with the little mill. I love mine

Back