20" Linear Digital Scale Dro

One point that should be made; the DRO systems using magnetic or glass scales have a sophisticated wiper system to prevent machining swarf and fluids contacting the scale surface while the iGaging type scales do not. It would be wise to install protective covers like Franko has done above to shield the scale and pickup.

Google for touch dro. You can interface these igaging readers to an android tablet and get a full blown DRO with touch screen and all the features. Bottle patterns feed speeds tooth load etc.

Google for touch dro. You can interface these igaging readers to an android tablet and get a full blown DRO with touch screen and all the features. Bottle patterns feed speeds tooth load etc.

The DRO for Android is Yuri's Toys. The software is a free download from the google store and his website has instructions on how to build the electronic interface for the scales to send the information to the android phone/tablet. I have purchased all of the materials to build a DRO for my lathe, but not gotten around to building the whole system yet. DavidH has the scales along with a number of other iGaging products for really good prices.

Really? DRO means digital read out. So your saying the read out isn't digital or what?

To the OP
I have these set up the same as RJ. I think we may even be in the same community for the bats testing of the app that uses these scales. I really don't have any issues with mine. But the ones you posted from LMS is way high on the price. I have a average of $40 a piece in mine and that is with scales that are up to 40" long. To get mine working on Android DRO I have about $200 a machine invested. That is each machine having all of its own parts. Everything you can move from one to another would save you money.

What I'm saying is that the scales don't have the same degree of accuracy as a real DRO. They're close, and for many users may be close enough.

The DRO for Android is Yuri's Toys. The software is a free download from the google store and his website has instructions on how to build the electronic interface for the scales to send the information to the android phone/tablet. I have purchased all of the materials to build a DRO for my lathe, but not gotten around to building the whole system yet. DavidH has the scales along with a number of other iGaging products for really good prices.
One should note that Yuriy's hardware and application do not work with the iGaging Absolute scales (at least when I last contacted him last February). See his website for more details and updates.

epj

The scales are rated +/- .0005 accuracy & +/-.001 repeatability. That is as good & better then most $500-$1000 DRO systems. With Yuriy's firmware & app I can read my scales to .0002 & they are within .0001 of that number out to 6" which is as far as I can measure to that degree. As far as repeatability I've never found them to be off. If I take a reading then run my table from one side to the other it is dead on.

The biggest problem with them is they are known to be noisy which happened to me on my first setup but I had a problem with mine. When I first built it my voltage regulator wasn't dropping my voltage as low as it should do I added a diode to drop it more. Well after mine stopping to work I found the voltage to be to low by .5v the amount the diode was cutting it. I pulled the diode but broke my Bluetooth adaptor so it got changed out also. No noise at all in my unit now. I don't even use the filter that is built into the app. I also don't have the caps that the circuit calls for. I didn't have the caps his called for in the build & the ones I did have didn't make a difference when I tried them so I left them out.

Obviously this particular brand is more accurate than many. Most I've seen advertise accuracy and repeatability in the .002 range. I have one of those scales on my drill press. As I stated earlier, it works pretty well. I have observed the repeatability to be around .001, which is good enough for the drill press. The scales are a whole lot less aggravating to set up. If I had known I could get that sort of performance from scales, I could have saved a few hundred bucks. The only real function I've used the reader for is calculating 1/2, which I'm perfectly capable of doing myself.

Actually mine are only advertised accuracy +/-.0005 "& repeatability of +/-.001" they just do much better then that. I can only read 10ths because of the android app. The head unit that came with them will only display to the nearest half thousandth.

Well, for many applications, maybe most, that's close enough.

Back