2016 POTD Thread Archive

The Enco corner notcher arrived this week and it was slated to go into the spot the Lars-Gorton tool grinder occupies.

I'm short on space so almost everything is on rollers or skates for access. The tool grinder lived on the back side of the rollaround cart the drill presses are on - and recently every time I've had to move it there were complaints from the casters. With everything loaded on it the cart weighs about 450 pounds and it can be a beast to move if there's a problem. On closer look the casters were coming loose from the cart so this simple project of swapping the grinder for the notcher took on an entirely new dimension.

I rolled out the drill press/grinder table, and slid the grinder onto another rollaround in preparation for moving it out and/or selling it. Next I set up the engine hoist and lifted the two drill presses off the table and onto the floor, then removed all the crap from under the table and flipped it over.

I whacked off a couple of pieces of 1/4" x 6" bar stock and punched holes into it to attach the casters more firmly, then screwed the caster units back onto the bottom of the cart framework. You can sort of see the bottom of the cart in the first picture - This is the messiest the shop has been of a while.

Photo 2 is the front of the rollaround once I got everything re-positioned, photo 3 is the rear view of the cart showing the notcher in position.

And the rollaround cart rolls again!! Woo Hoo!

Stu
View attachment 126115 View attachment 126118 View attachment 126119

Nice concept gr8legs. Is it stable on casters when using the notcher ?
I'm thinking of something like this for my Grizzley 6"notcher & my Beverly B2 throatless shear. Then again, my "round tuit" list will already outlive me.

My time in my shop will be few and far between, the weather is getting nice ( it is supposed to snow tomorrow, yeesh) and I am starting to work in my back yard. The last 8 years has been spent, part time, clearing rock from my grounds ( rock is our Town flower, we grow it for fun and profit) to put in a back yard. I have been drylaying stone walls, our property is terraced hillside, patios, benches and everthing inbetween. I plan on making a small organic farm when I'm done, I have 8 fruit trees arriving soon and plan on lots more including chickens and tge assorted buildings involved. I finally gave in and hired masons to build an over 80 foot wall I've been putting off for a while, they have done more in two days than I could do all Summer working at it part time. Time has taken precidence over money, but they are nice enough to let me help them in return for more square footage.

I'm so close to start putting together the rear end for my '56 Chebbie pick-m-up I have torn apart and removed 60 years of grease and grime, this will be my fill in work when it rains.

This is happening for me two, albeit slowly. After all these years of doing everything myself it's not easy agreeing to letting someone else do things for me. The wife is helping me change my ways by employing the totally unfair device known as common sense. She says by the time I get over the injuries I inflict on my self by insisting on doing everything on my own, and factoring in medical expenses, and all of my whining, and the fact that my to do list most likely stretches well past my best used by date, that I would be light years ahead just hiring some things done. Don't you just hate it when they do that. Mike

Time has taken precedence over money.

I picked up an old rusty, dirty X-Y table at an estate sale for $20. Today I cleaned it up and reassembled it. turned out nice:
View attachment 126142 View attachment 126143
I always forget the "before" photos. But it was nasty

So why does it rotate my uploaded photos?

That's a nice piece !!! How come I never find stuff like that ? :frown:

OK guys here is my review of the Eastwood Versa cut 60 Plasma cutter. Now know I'm pretty novice at plasma cutting. So any tips are welcome. But I just wanted to show what the machine can do in the hands of a novice. It did cut 3/4" but not real clean. But I will rarely ever be cutting 3/4". 1/2" is more like the heavy side of what I would be cutting. I have there circle cutter that also can be used as a guide for straight cuts an am thinking of trying to set that up to hold a little lead angle on the cutting tip. Or just making a stand off that will do the same. All in all for the 700 I paid for it I am happy. Here is the link to my review.

Mark

Mark, thanks for the review. Seems pretty good for the money. Do you know if yours is CNC cutting table adaptable? I've been perusing Craig's List for one that has that capability but nothing has come along so far. Mike

Good review Mark, unless you get into high power CO2 fed machines 3/4 is pushing it.
I went inside my Hypertherm and just tapped into the wires coming from the handle switch to make it CNC compatible Mike. The voltage pickup for the torch height control was there but I don't think its hard to tap into that voltage if it isn't already available. The arc current again was there but you can get a current sensing coil for that too. I think any plasma can be made to work.

Greg

Nice concept gr8legs. Is it stable on casters when using the notcher ?
I'm thinking of something like this for my Grizzley 6"notcher & my Beverly B2 throatless shear. Then again, my "round tuit" list will already outlive me.

The Enco imported notcher is heavy enough to stay put for my needs - notching thin gauge aluminum sheet. It is supposed to be rated for 16 gauge steel sheet but I have my doubts and I don't plan on trying it on anything that thick . . . If I did try I'd certainly bolt it to the tabletop and hope for the best.

I really wanted a USA-made Diacro notcher and this is a stopgap until one shows up in my price range. It may be a while . . . but I'm a patient soul :)

Stu

Mark, thanks for the review. Seems pretty good for the money. Do you know if yours is CNC cutting table adaptable? I've been perusing Craig's List for one that has that capability but nothing has come along so far. Mike
Mike no it is not. I believe it has to do with High frequency start of something to do with the start.

Me, the mill, and some drill rod had some fun. For a screwdriver swap at the woodworking forum I participate it, I made a split nut driver and lever cap screwdriver bits. They turned out well enough, I made myself a set, too. And one for my brother! For a few bucks in materials, I made myself about $200 worth of tools.

DSCN0599_zpsa60t9jow.jpg

DSCN0599_zpsa60t9jow.jpg

DSCN0599_zpsa60t9jow.jpg

DSCN0599_zpsa60t9jow.jpg

DSCN0599_zpsa60t9jow.jpg

DSCN0599_zpsa60t9jow.jpg

Back