2016 POTD Thread Archive

VFD system build on the bench being tested, still waiting for a contactor for the coolant circuit. Have done a number of different VFD systems from very simple to more complex, this is both high voltage and VFD logic system, includes everything but the VFD. The newer designs I use on these systems is not dependent on the VFD power supply to operate the relays, so more applicable to a wider range of VFDs. This level of design/complexity is more applicable to lathes where a number of different VFD functions are used, other designs can be much simpler This system has provisions for both 12 and 24VDC output so can drive tachs, lights, solenoids, etc. This system includes Jog joystick which will only operate when the machine is stopped, variable braking, proximity system with safety lock switch and P bypass switch, and coolant system contactor (to be installed) that runs only when the the for/rev relays are activated. A number of safety interlocks, and rapid braking if any of these are tripped, the VFD will also be wired to the foot brake. Many different ways to build these VFD systems, this one was a little different so posting. Anyone interested in a schematic design or parts list, let me know.

PM1236 VFD System.jpg

For those curios about how to weld cast aluminum with tig, my settings were 160 amps ac, 60% balance, lots of cleaning action, I always use pointed tungsten on ac, light up with a little bit of pedal and let the cleaning action burn up the area to be welded, then back step and pedal down, I used 1/16th rod, get in and get out

VFD system build on the bench being tested, still waiting for a contactor for the coolant circuit. Have done a number of different VFD systems from very simple to more complex, this is both high voltage and VFD logic system, includes everything but the VFD. The newer designs I use on these systems is not dependent on the VFD power supply to operate the relays, so more applicable to a wider range of VFDs. This level of design/complexity is more applicable to lathes where a number of different VFD functions are used, other designs can be much simpler This system has provisions for both 12 and 24VDC output so can drive tachs, lights, solenoids, etc. This system includes Jog joystick which will only operate when the machine is stopped, variable braking, proximity system with safety lock switch and P bypass switch, and coolant system contactor (to be installed) that runs only when the the for/rev relays are activated. A number of safety interlocks, and rapid braking if any of these are tripped, the VFD will also be wired to the foot brake. Many different ways to build these VFD systems, this one was a little different so posting. Anyone interested in a schematic design or parts list, let me know.

View attachment 119193
I would be interested in the schematic and parts list for my future 1340GT 3 phase purchase.

Thanks!

David, that is a 1930 Packard 733 5/7 passenger sedan, originally, and for all of it's life until now, from Hagerstown, MD.

I thought so....my older brothers borrowed a 1933 Packard 3-door limo from a friend who owned a junk yard. It had a 12 Cyl "mill" with 6 independent cast aluminum crankcase pans (each for a pair of two "buckets"). That car could idle up a 20% grade without "jerking" along. An amazing car. No wonder Packard built a version of the Rolls Royce Merlin engine for the Big one ! (Think P51).

For those curios about how to weld cast aluminum with tig, my settings were 160 amps ac, 60% balance, lots of cleaning action, I always use pointed tungsten on ac, light up with a little bit of pedal and let the cleaning action burn up the area to be welded, then back step and pedal down, I used 1/16th rod, get in and get out

Nice build.

View attachment 119193
Damm looks good and options,I'm just too intimated by electronics to try this but I have grandkid would like a look at parts list/plans.Wish I had a neighbour like you.

Back