2016 POTD Thread Archive

It took me three days of squeezing a little time here and there but I got my 2x72 belt grinder mystery metal drive wheel mounted on the motor shaft and turned between centers. The tubing I used was very eccentric (ID and OD were far from concentric) and the interrupted cut revealed some significant rigidity and chatter issues I was previously unaware of. I cleaned up the terrible cut with a vertical sheer bit and emory cloth. Still some cosmetic flaws but it will work great.

Center is flat, 2.5 degrees of taper on the outer 25% and 1 degree of taper between. dd917e6373c4d84e9bd648e96bf7ec8f.jpg

Bill,
Please elucidate your intended meaning of "the wife's plow harness". The mind reels.

My wife does landscaping and snow plowing in the winter to help pay the bills. A friend helped put the harness in the truck and I guess we missed a ground wire. Also one power wire came off the stud in the fuse box for the controls.
She does this for a few of our neighbors and a couple friends. She doesn't make much money as she mainly does it for older folks (80's and 90's) in the neighborhood.

Finished up Mark's Arbor press stand. I decided to add a handle, receiver, and cut a shelf from some 16 gauge sheet. I also decided to build a single outrigger that fits into the receiver for added stability and can be stored vertically when not in use to reduce the overall footprint.

A piece of 5/8" CR round bar was used for a handle with 2.5" legs to keep the business end open and clear. The iron worker was used to break the solid stock.
View attachment 131128
The break table I built has holes for the alignment pins to square up the stock to the break. The pins can also be set at 45º to the break as well. These make it quick and simple for multiple pieces during production. The back of the break has a back gauge that also comes in handy for repeated multiple bends.
View attachment 131129
The finished handle.
View attachment 131130
The shelf was cut using a HF power shear rated at 14 gauge. I purchased these when we started the building construction (shop) as all skins required cutting for door openings.
At $45 they preformed flawlessly during the building construction and I have used them a lot in the shop for quick simple cuts in a variety of sheet material. I have cut .120 aluminum with zero distortion, that said I give this tool a A+ for the money spent. If anyone is undecided in purchasing a power shear for thin gauge sheet, this ones for you.
View attachment 131131
The receiver was drilled and capture nuts welded for securing the outrigger leg.
View attachment 131132
The receiver used has .120 wall for rigidness, It also serve as a center support for the shelf. Two 5/8" capture nuts where welded to bottom of base plate for securing the press body. No need for a backer wrench.
View attachment 131134 View attachment 131133
The outrigger in use allowed me to hang off the front of the unit without tipping. The round foot on the outrigger is 1/8" above floor allowing the unit to be rolled around but prevents tipping if one cranks on the lever.
View attachment 131135
This shows the outrigger in the stowed vertical position (front or back). No tools required with the 3/8" round welded to the bolts.
View attachment 131136
I'm 100% confident this will not tip on the user when pressing to its maximum.
Thanks for looking, as always, any comment, questions, concerns are welcomed.

Paco

That turned out sweet as hell Paco. I am sure Mark will love it.

Mike.

Completed my argon purge/backer boxes last night.

Bottom of the 2"x3" box welded.
o0rrjt.jpg

doupm8.jpg

Top side with the perforated stainless steel welded on and filled with strands of steel wool to act as a diffuser.
2566b1x.jpg

The larger of the backer boxes, this one is made from 1" square tubing and measures 6 inches in length.
2hydmi0.jpg

This is corner one that measures about 5" in length.
t8uro5.jpg

Shortest measuring 2 inches and longest measuring 6 inches.
ej954.jpg

All four completed and ready to be put into use.
6dzn2d.jpg

Those should last me a long time and were quite simple to fabricate. I should have built them many years ago.

Mike.

Completed my argon purge/backer boxes last night.

How do you use these?

Google let me down when I searched for "how do you use an argon purge/backer boxes"

I found someone who had fittings to fill pipe they were welding with argon, which made sense. I found several examples of how to build them. But I could not find any images of one being used.

I am very curious.

Finished up Mark's Arbor press stand. I decided to add a handle, receiver, and cut a shelf from some 16 gauge sheet. I also decided to build a single outrigger that fits into the receiver for added stability and can be stored vertically when not in use to reduce the overall footprint.

A piece of 5/8" CR round bar was used for a handle with 2.5" legs to keep the business end open and clear. The iron worker was used to break the solid stock.
View attachment 131128
The break table I built has holes for the alignment pins to square up the stock to the break. The pins can also be set at 45º to the break as well. These make it quick and simple for multiple pieces during production. The back of the break has a back gauge that also comes in handy for repeated multiple bends.
View attachment 131129
The finished handle.
View attachment 131130
The shelf was cut using a HF power shear rated at 14 gauge. I purchased these when we started the building construction (shop) as all skins required cutting for door openings.
At $45 they preformed flawlessly during the building construction and I have used them a lot in the shop for quick simple cuts in a variety of sheet material. I have cut .120 aluminum with zero distortion, that said I give this tool a A+ for the money spent. If anyone is undecided in purchasing a power shear for thin gauge sheet, this ones for you.
View attachment 131131
The receiver was drilled and capture nuts welded for securing the outrigger leg.
View attachment 131132
The receiver used has .120 wall for rigidness, It also serve as a center support for the shelf. Two 5/8" capture nuts where welded to bottom of base plate for securing the press body. No need for a backer wrench.
View attachment 131134 View attachment 131133
The outrigger in use allowed me to hang off the front of the unit without tipping. The round foot on the outrigger is 1/8" above floor allowing the unit to be rolled around but prevents tipping if one cranks on the lever.
View attachment 131135
This shows the outrigger in the stowed vertical position (front or back). No tools required with the 3/8" round welded to the bolts.
View attachment 131136
I'm 100% confident this will not tip on the user when pressing to its maximum.
Thanks for looking, as always, any comment, questions, concerns are welcomed.

Paco

Paco

I was wondering how you were going to keep the arbor press from getting tippy. Nice solution using the outrigger
Great job

New tap talk addon was installed this morning.
Apparently whatever it did, it did not resolve the missing photos ("red x") issue for photos posted from tapatalk but viewed from a web browser. This started right at the same time as the forum migration (though there was a tapatalk app update at the same time). If you "reply" to such a post with a missing image you can then view the image in the draft of your response, so the photo is online and working, but somehow XenForo doesn't think it's working and displays the red x icon instead (outside of the reply draft).

Back