2016 POTD Thread Archive

Just checked the manual that came with my cooler and it says do not use automotive antifreeze. Who knows ?

Auto antifreeze coolants aren't all the same some are made for all ally motors and some are for iron motors with ally heads. Also check what metals are in your welder, check out coolant for diesel trucks mostly they are for a bigger range of metals, they are a bit dearer but usually better quality.

So you are making a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make a tool...

Me too. Someday I'll make something that isn't a tool. Fortunately making tools is fun.
So you are making a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make a tool...

Me too. Someday I'll make something that isn't a tool. Fortunately making tools is fun.

That's why being a tool maker was the best job in the world.

And that's the second thing I checked. Those gears are fine, and the power feed still works.
Don't ask me how I discovered this but one easy thing to look at is the coupler on the gears. I discovered they can be sheared in half before major parts inside the lathe break. The little metal piece that holds 2 gears side by side it is round with a key on it. My lathe had a scary similar oops to yours and I was lucky it broke a coupler so the gears didn't transfer any power to the lead screw. Very easy and cheap fix. I hope that's all it is.

I experimented today with a section I cut from a front wheel drive shaft.
By golly it was tough stuff, my HSS bits just couldnt cut the mustard.
I ground some extra clearance on an old brazed carbide half inch tool then diamond honed the edge to as sharp as I could get it.
That did the trick, on auto feed it peeled the swarf off in tight curled strings a pretty blue colour.
The surface finish was very smooth like a mirror, this photo does not do it justice but I was hugely impressed with it.
View attachment 111074
So I flipped it and turned the other end down.
View attachment 111075
The brown colour is the very thick cutting fluid I used.
I had a feeling that only the outer surface was tough but the inner would be softer, but if that was the case going from 25mm down to 19mm dia made no discernible difference.
The big worry was the length of the strings but as they came off very smoothly I used a stick to guide them into the bed away from the chuck (although that doesnt show here)
This chunk is so nice and shiny to look at I want to use it for something.
Questions
Any idea what the base metal is?
Can it be hardened even further and used as a cutting tool.
If its annealed to red heat will it machine easier.

Don't know about annealing, but it might be worth a try, As luck would have it I scrounged a couple of these shafts only yesterday from a local mechanic, I have a plan to use them on a project in a few months. It's probably just a very tough steel most auto drive shafts are tough rather than hard, They don't want them braking, or twisting, would likely make an excellent cold chisel.

Auto antifreeze coolants aren't all the same some are made for all ally motors and some are for iron motors with ally heads. Also check what metals are in your welder, check out coolant for diesel trucks mostly they are for a bigger range of metals, they are a bit dearer but usually better quality.
Correct, they are not all the same. And you shouldn't mix certain kinds either . I didn't know there were AF made for deisels, thanks for that info. As for the welder, the coolant doesn't really go thru the welder. It just goes up hoses at end of the torch cable , then thru channels in the head of the torch , and finally goes back to the cooler , or reservoir in my case.

That's why being a tool maker was the best job in the world.

And the second best job in the world was as a Marine Engineer, because when the ship just broke down in the middle of the Pacific ocean and no one can find the spare part, you then had to make the tool to make part that the fedex guy cant deliver, always a challenge.

In my little automotive world electrolysis and grounds go hand in hand

Looks like you've got some dissimilar metals in the system that the coolant is not compatible with check all your metal components that come into contact with the coolant and check that list against teh compatibility for the coolant. As I said I've always found the best ones made for big diesel engines to be the most suitable for a wide range of metals and instead of having to buy 5 gallons if you've got a truckie mate ask him if he'll let you have a gallon. That little fitting with the hole in it appears to have the china stamped on the side, that might be the whole cause of the problem, probably made out of some contaminated second hand alloy. try to always use stainless for your fittings, preferably marine grade.

Back