2016 POTD Thread Archive

Made another little tool block for the Atlas today. Not real pleased with the aesthetics -- it's actually even uglier in real life than in the photo -- but I think it'll work ok.

With the compound slide on the 618 made the way it is with that little hump on the back it's tough to get enough footprint on a tool post and still allow for some rotation. So this one will take my standard 5/16" high speed tools without shimming, and also hold up to a half-inch boring or threading bar. At least that's my plan.

As always, thanks for looking!

-frank

image.jpeg

Not real pleased with the aesthetics -- it's actually even uglier in real life than in the photo -- but I think it'll work ok.

I like it. The D-shape is unusual, unique and stylish.
-brino

Made my first machinist jack today. I used some 1 1/4 hex stock for the base and 3/4 hex stock for the jam nut and post. I have no clue what type of steel it is as I got 3 feet of each diameter hex stock for free a few months back.

The post is adjustable up to 1.5" off the base. I might make a few more in different sizes. Some shorter and some taller.
Edit: the threads are 3/8-16. Also, ignore the poor quality pics and the fact that they are sideways. I know certain people don't like them twisted and skip over posts with sideways pics. 20161226_193521.jpg 20161226_193433.jpg 20161226_193453.jpg

I just recently completed converting my '04 Sierra 3500 to 4wd. I had to fabricate 3 of the 4 mounting points for the front axle, the rest of the system was bolt-together. I got the parts for it from a donor '06 Sierra 2500HD that I bought specifically for do it, but I've also been scoring the odd other part from it as well. I rebuilt the transmission and transfer case to make sure they would last, as the 2500HD had been put through a hard life (previous owner cut off the mufflers and went 4x4ing in the country until the motor stopping running right).

I kind of documented the work as I went along here: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...871098-converting-04-sierra-3500-2wd-4wd.html
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...871098-converting-04-sierra-3500-2wd-4wd.html
So far, it's been working well in the snow we've just had here in Edmonton.

looking at cutoff tools but you use levers or cams or racks rather than a leadscrew to drive them. Seems like this was common in older lathes - anybody here have cutoff tools like that - similar idea to retractable threading tools but not the same.

Bill

Kicked out a quick project for my car. I need three in the end, but only made one to test fit and see if the style is what I like. It is a "beauty" ring/cover for the climate control knobs in a 2016 Subaru STI.

I started by turning some 6061-T6 bar stock to an OD of 2". Then ran a knurl over it. Left .190" knurled and turn down the rest to 1.950". That way the body is recessed from the knurl. Next I bored the ID to 1.842" fkr a interferance fit, and left a .260" lip over hanging on the front. That way the front of the cover wraps over the front of the knobs. I ended up having to use some fine Emory paper to open up the ID ever so slightly as the interference fit was a tad too tight. The finished product slipped over the OEM knob with a nice, tight fit. I'm happy with it. Next is to make two more and powder coat three of them flat black. Criticism welcome! I will attach a picture of it installed in my car later to give you an idea of the look installed. Not able to at the moment. 20161226_232729.jpg

Back