2016 POTD Thread Archive

finally finished making a temporary spindle pulley for my Atlas 618. Some previous owner had rebushed the 4 step spindle pulley and hashed it up - the bore was both oversized and not concentric to the pulley faces - so it caused a lot of vibration especially in direct drive. However, I only have one lathe (I know I know, I'll have to fix that) so to remove the duff bushings, fit the new ones and bore them to size I needed a way to drive the spindle.

Made this from a large chunk of 2in alu round. Cut the step, then plunged the center of the V with my parting tool and did the sides with my 60deg threading tool. Not 100% the right angle, but it'll do. Then cut part of the way through with my parting tool while the end was still supported with the live center. Removed the live center, drilled to 11/16 (I think) and bored to the finish size of 0.787, 2 thou over the spindle diameter. Then drilled and tapped for 10-24 set screws.

Pulled all the stuff off the spindle and this slipped on just right. Spun freely but without any noticeable radial play, which I was well pleased with. Also gives me good target dimensions for the new bushing ID. Put a piece of lead solder under each set screw and tightened it down - doesn't seem to move from ~500 to 1500rpm, but we'll see how it does under load. Now I'll have to dig out the bushings I have and start working on a plan to get the old ones out and the new ones in! Given that this took me 3 weeks, I expect this'll be done by March sometime!
IMG_4620.JPG IMG_4621.JPG IMG_4622.JPG

jmark, if you scroll to the right, find the end of the URL on the last page you read. In this case, we're on page 313. Simply open the thread, and edit the URL to the page you want to jump to. You'll have to keep up with where you left off, but that will do what you ask.

Thanks Tony. Works great.

Made a pair of small 25 degree wedge mounts for a LED strip light thats to be mounted to the lathe's back splash (under the top lip). The lathe in undergoing a transformation of a new control system that Mark (mksj) is designing. Pretty stoked to see it in action once completed.
The little wedge mounts are tapped (4-40) for the snap clips that secure the LED strip. IMG_1280.JPGIMG_1281.JPG IMG_1286.JPGIMG_1287.JPG IMG_1288.JPG
That cutter flung swarf some 30' in all directions including my hair (all three of them) haha.

Looks good. Where did you source your LED strip? I can relate to the hair situation. Mike

Last night, I disassembled my 3-jaw Phase II chuck that came with my Atlas 12-inch lathe. It felt horrible, grinding and binding at various spots throughout its range of adjustment. I found old grease, chips, general grime, dirt, and rust in the scroll, in the jaw slides, in the pinion teeth, and everywhere else that they should not be. After a thorough washing with used lacquer thinner and blowing clean, I oiled all the moving parts sparingly and reassembled. Now it feels nice and smooth through its whole range of motion in both directions! :D Maybe tonight I can mount it on the backplate and check for runout. I didn't dare try that before because of how bad it felt!

Back