2017 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks Paco. My last shop was stuffed to the brim so I am pretty excited to even have enough space between machines to operate them freely and sweep between.

Good luck unloading tomorrow and helping your son.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks funny to see a shop that is so empty looking. Better get that thing filled up, she's a beauty.

Not really much of a project but I have had a nice chunk of RR anvil.jpg rail sitting around waiting to be cleaned up for use as an anvil. The top was well worn and took a while to machine it flat on my trusty PM932 mill. That steel must be very hard, anyway a little sandblasting and some paint and its done. Figured I would post it here as it will never look this nice again.

Posted building these cabinets a while back. Got them installed. Then got talked into doing the tile work. Then got talked into framing for the washrooms. Then got talked into plumbing the coffee maker.

T_cVoTztzvJJpSS6eKLZ-VgQxp4b0EjUENxmwEvFzHmKyZy4EvAqWkySzdI_ddS-1DiJTZwYq2nQOTmfFMQey9tC76RxC6-wk6O8ZKWOxhg2TtCouESTmMxbxFggl1xQuz1_BebBOMDSbeoqsY0H_SKinCsV80AZWd23DFt9ToaMpvJ5vQ261f0BprfG6d5ldoOts-sNWznl4EqzFc7qkFjmFrajyhaHUg1u7v_3d09kyfLss9uLhzRSQMeqZOazfs4h23sxnQ2RQNP4dX4fSgVnFdyAcZlk_k5bgny3YXEEfqXsjcJhMnWToMFajYP2yOq9d8XJCxqO1U3RLA9zWNGSw0_qHItdxXThSLEfEju595gAzFFbZanMHNtafdzBQXdtjeXuKrVvvSgRUy74MRjpAJwImyX92C1vE2o6Dd5aFpgIYaKHMXQe4QAI-3w9flWTy8ajlzzBk-cqcd-vTEsw5lDrM-M1YRmYsJf_AX2EOgTfSJoDygU-yh6XlF76OuBvNFb7Ygjblon3z_a4UK4VxYMg8SeU3FqA8WNHD3fdo1UcK_a8lCNlDxXBs2PrQ3nDf5eJmgXwTxBajOdJtl4iSw5PK0FXMEtwpMDgxVdYPTNdOSfr9hYk=w1702-h1276-no

Greg

Posted building these cabinets a while back. Got them installed. Then got talked into doing the tile work. Then got talked into framing for the washrooms. Then got talked into plumbing the coffee maker.

Greg

That's a sure sign they like your work (and your price).

Looking good.

Greg

Nice work Greg. Always impressive.

A little more progress on my 14" Rockwell lathe. (Also posted in the Rockwell lathe group)

Was able to get a start on putting the guts back in the headstock. Re-installed the back gear shaft assembly. Went back easier than it did coming out. First thing you do is install the eccentric sleeve into the headstock without the guts added. There is a dog point set screw on the back side of the headstock that needs to go into the groove on the eccentric sleeve. Leave it loose, adjusting this will come later. Next, drop the bull gear assy into position and start back gear shaft into the bore of the bull gear. To help get the shaft started, stick a short piece of rod about 2" long in the small end of the shaft, so you have a way to pick that end up to align into the bearing bore in the eccentric bushing.
Also pay attention to the witness mark on the end of the shaft. It needs to be on top dead center when installing, so you know where all the woodruff keys will be on top. (It's not on top dead center in my picture) This also lines up the tapered pin hole for installing the taper pin. Once the bull gear is in place and pinned, go to the other end and install the pinion gear on end of the shaft. Then install the washer and bolt.

dscn3647-jpg.237244

And why Rockwell didn't drill and tap the end of the shaft for easy removal, I don't know. If anyone ever has to remove the back gear shaft assembly for any reason, I highly recommend drilling and tapping the end of the shaft for something like 3/8-16 unc thread. If the No. 5 taper pin was ever sheared off, this is almost the only way your going to get it apart.
dscn3648-jpg.237245

More to come later next week IF I get a chance to work on it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the reason for drilling and tapping the end of the shaft, is so you can hook up a slide hammer to aid in removing the shaft.
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Back