2017 POTD Thread Archive

Spent part of today doing maintenance on some equipment for work, and once again, I was totally annoyed that Arien's cheaped out to save a few pennies and used an extension on the engine's oil drain port so it ends just before it reaches the edge of the frame of the Power Brush it is mounted on. So, every oil change, I can get most of the oil to go through a funnel, but a fair amount always gets on the frame and it's a pain to clean it all up, and then the area gets a nice coating of dirt that just sticks there.

Today, I finally decided to make a slightly longer extension, which should prevent this from happening anymore.

Pic of the old and new one, side by side:
IMG_0981.jpg

New one, installed on the machine:
IMG_0983.jpg

And, in the foreground of that pic, you can see a washer brazed to the head of a bolt. My dad came up with doing that, as that black part is the belt cover, and you regularly have to take it off to check out the belts. And doing that with gloves/mitts on in the winter sucks when you have to use a wrench or even a ratchet to do it, as the bolt is small and long. With the washer, it's easy to do with mitts on. We've done this for all the snowblowers as well (again, it saves Ariens a couple pennies per machine, but is a pain for everyone who buys one).

But they are also the geniuses who state that, as part of maintenance, if you can hear the u-joint between the engine and the power brush (necessary so you can angle the brush left and right), you should grease it. Fine. Except it only turns when the engine is running and the power brush is engages. If you can hear that u-joint over both the engine and the brushes, it needs to be replaced, as it will be seriously damaged...

Finally, a shot of what could very well be the ugliest 17mm hex head in the world. This is what you get when you freehand it on a bench grinder in a couple minutes:
IMG_0982.jpg

And I'm sorry for disappointing everyone, as I used a tap and die for the threads at each end instead of single-pointing them on the lathe. I did use the lathe for turning the one end down to size and for drilling the through-hole...

Last edited:
You just reminded me of something. I recall that a bunch of years ago, stores in Oregon were selling mesh bags containing hundreds of what looked like ladybugs. I forget what they were supposed to be good for. Might have something to do with what RJ said:.......

Oregon is, after all, big on agriculture, including fruits and nuts. Anyway, I checked the package and saw that they were from China, so I shied away from them.
When this plague first appeared I recall seeing an ad on-line where some municipality out East was buying indiginous ladybugs for more than a dollar apiece. It was a shame that our pestilence wasn't the same species or I could have been filthy stinkin' rich!:laughing:

I was going to insulate and sheet rock the inside, but I'm bushed.
Took the wall down yesterday, the sill varied from badly rotted to non existent.
20171108_172511.jpg
Temp wall up, old wall goes down
20171108_092035.jpg
20171108_092055.jpg
New wall goes up
20171108_163143.jpg
Tomorrow I'll pull down the last 5 foot of this wall, than insulate and drywall. I'll build a recess into 9" double wall cavity to house the new propane heater... it's going to be comfortable in the shop this winter

20171108_172515.jpg

20171108_172219.jpg

The last of the big rotted walls is done, I'll put Frp on it, run the propane line thru it and put some stone on the wall behind the propane heater. Some drywall for the ceiling, build another soffit to match the other side...
Tomorrow is garbage day, I'll be hauling loads of demo debris to the dump, bring back some more materials... inside is nearly complete for this year, think I've seen enough of this for 6 months or so... still 1 more Bay to do, next year... I think we have all seen enough episodes "this little shop"
20171109_135436.jpg
20171109_202721.jpg
20171109_112343.jpg
20171109_135646.jpg
20171109_135500.jpg
20171109_114521.jpg

richl - that sure looks like a lot of work! I'm not much of a carpenter so I'm glad its you and not me!

For powder coating I have an old Craftsman gun (the one with a built in fan-like air supply) and a pizza / toaster oven. They do a surprisingly good job for small parts.

Back