2017 POTD Thread Archive

Murphy never sleeps!

PS - When I installed a new opener a couple months ago, I also opted for staples. Put small squares of vinyl atop the wires before stapling, to keep the staples from biting thru the insulation.

When I installed a new opener a couple months ago, I also opted for staples. Put small squares of vinyl atop the wires before stapling, to keep the staples from biting thru the insulation.
There's staplers intended for cable installation, like Arrow #T25, which protect the wire.
It does keep the phone and CATV wires neatly attached (without the danger of dropping
the staple or experiencing a hammer-thumb event).Low-voltage cable stapler

Diameter of AC wiring, though, is more than that one will handle.

Last night's little project. I started machining the hinges for my axle fixture tonight and while I had chips on the lathe I thought I would knock out another little project that I’ve had on my mind for a couple of years now, a lathe height gage.

After facing the bottom off I bored a small recess in which I could press and glue a small magnet in.

b5c24c483778bcecd879e5feefe0eafe.jpg

Creeping up on the proper length. I places a .500” gage pin in the collet and then used a .250” on the top of the gage and machined the necessary amount until I had the exact same reading on both gage pins then I knew the height gage was exactly on the centerline.

ad34e9da5faa475379aabd384450fc3a.jpg

I then clamped it in the mill vise and took some material off to create a flat that could allow the gage to be placed right alongside the lathe tool and set the height.

de077808b5ec5fa795091188d924cebc.jpg

Trial run.

ddae96696e9fd792b91108f11e651eb2.jpg

Lastly I mixed up a small amount of epoxy and glued the magnet into the base.

be00d3b3935e5846e622a6a0e9fc2dd2.jpg

While the epoxy was drying on the tool I decided to add some rubber material to the stand I built a month or so ago for my hydraulic press accessories.

7cc41bb2c291ebb99e342046c1f79bda.jpg

23f0a86f457501711a11a5912db2dca1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Mike what material did you use for hight gauge tool? I saw one of Tom Lipton's videos some time back and wanted to replicate it.
Clean work as usual my friend, and a time saver.

Paco

Mike what material did you use for hight gauge tool? I saw one of Tom Lipton's videos some time back and wanted to replicate it.
Clean work as usual my friend, and a time saver.

Paco

Thanks Paco. I just used a piece of 1" 6061 that I had on hand. I was going to use a piece of 1.5" that I had but the flat just inside the ways on my lathe is barely an inch so I figured no sense in wasting material.

If memory serves Tom Lipton's was a flip out one or something wasn't it? Then you raised the tool up to where it makes contact? I can't remember it's been a while since I saw his video. I remember seeing one similar to this one a couple of years ago and I thought I wanted to make one but never made the time to do it until last night. Took a little longer than I thought it would, like everything else. What I thought would be a thirty minute job turned into more like an hour. Oh well, still awesome time in the shop making chips which I have been away from for way too long.

Mike

Your right Mike, it was a flip out screw jack style that he extended, but at the very end of the video he added a very short clip using brass stock that was milled 1/2 the diameter. I like that version better than the screw type. Your version reminded me of Tom's but I like yours better with the knurled grip and all.
The magnet will work well for setting tool hight providing a positive hold, plus your not fighting the magnetic force while epoxying.:)
Nice addition.

Your right Mike, it was a flip out screw jack style that he extended, but at the very end of the video he added a very short clip using brass stock that was milled 1/2 the diameter. I like that version better than the screw type. Your version reminded me of Tom's but I like yours better with the knurled grip and all.
The magnet will work well for setting tool hight providing a positive hold, plus your not fighting the magnetic force while epoxying.:)
Nice addition.

Thanks Paco.

As for the magnet, another benefit is that it will help hold it in storage location on the back of the lathe without falling off. I seem to need that part a bit more lately.lol

Mike

zmotorsports, Question, What happens when a butter fingers like me drops it and the bottom gets dinged up. Me, I would wind up needing to reface the bottom or top then the height would be off on it. I thought about making one like that but was trying to figure out how I could solve the problem if needing to reface it. Any ideas.

zmotorsports, Question, What happens when a butter fingers like me drops it and the bottom gets dinged up. Me, I would wind up needing to reface the bottom or top then the height would be off on it. I thought about making one like that but was trying to figure out how I could solve the problem if needing to reface it. Any ideas.

There is one simple solution. DON'T drop it. That is the down side, if it gets dinged up on one end it can't be faced off without destroying it's accuracy. I too worry about that so I guess I will come to that bridge when I drop mine.

Mike

Back