2017 POTD Thread Archive

I finished off making the new QCTP stud and nut for my lathe. The old one was an anemic M8, the new one is M12, and feels a lot more rigid. Boring out the compound to accept the larger stud and roll pin was easy. However turning a metric thread on an imperial lathe is never something I look forward to doing. Specially, this time around as i'm essentially doing it between centers.

Last edited:
Funny hobby, you can sit and watch a video for 30 minutes of someone making a bolt lol (whatever happened to the smiles for the forums)
Nice job dan

A cylindrical square has been on the list for some time. Decided one would be great for reference when checking the fixed jaw on the shaper vice.
Had a 6 inch piece of 3 1/2 dia heat treated 4140. Held it in the 3 jaw and recessed the ends and centre drilled. Needed a way to drive it so drilled and threaded the end for a 1/2 inch stud to mate into the drive plate of the lathe, a set screw will plug the hole now.
Turned between centres, using a honed brazed carbide cutter for the final passes. Can't measure any taper with a regular mic, only have 1/10th mics up to 3 inch. Faced the narrow outer edge left after recessing the middle.
KIMG0478.jpg

A .0005 test indicator shows less than a 1/2 div variation as I go around the cylinder. Will map it for the two identical sides.

Greg

Greg have you considered sending it out to get ground?

Greg have you considered sending it out to get ground?

I thought about grinding it with my tool post grinder but it won't fit on the Hardinge I turned it on, not much room when your working between centres, tried turning it on the Summit but was getting about 3/4 thou taper, hard to adjust that on a 17 inch swing lathe.
Around here, no idea where you'd send it.

Thanks

I've been working on the Delta 14" Wood / Metal bandsaw I picked up in 2016. It has the cast iron base and had been sitting in a damp dirt floor basement for a few years before I got it. . I started taking it apart and making a shopping list for bearings. Yesterday I put piece #1 of about 20 into the electrolysis rust removal tank. This is a 42 gallon plastic trash can. I'm using a vintage 12V 10 amp Heathkit battery charger. My sacrificial electrode is a Dunlap AA-109 lathe bed. (Don't worry it really was worthless scrap, rusted beyond any chance of salvation.) After about 18 hours most of the rust is gone and some of the paint. I'm going to let it run another day and see if more paint comes off. It's bubbling well and running at about 4 amps.

IMG_0931.JPG

Rich
Are you using anything in the water? It looks like all is working well, I'll be watching.
Nelson

Yep ! Happened today opening a Vienna Sausage container in the shop.

Finger.png

Back