2017 POTD Thread Archive

What am I doing wrong? Should I upload to photobucket?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk.

I was gifted by my son (Google Volaré Products) with the project of producing a "Balsa Slitter." It cuts varying widths of balsa from stock sheets. The previous source passed on, and they are no longer available. He wants to make about two dozen of them.

The part that is giving me trouble is 1/16 thick about 5/8 wide and 1 3/4 long, has two fairly precise holes in it with a curve around three sides. I tried to freehand one for a prototype, broke three before I got one I could use.

This morning, lying in bed waiting for nerve to get up, I designed a fixture to hold the piece so it can be cut with a CNC mill.
[1 16th fixture.jpg

The piece I made is below, the fixture is above. I have cut enough pieces of 1/16 plastic to make what is needed for the "production run," have drawn up the tooling route,

View attachment 229915 1 16th program moves.jpg

I've written a quick and dirty M code file which I won't post here, it's embarrassing, but I'd dearly love some one to offer to make them for me. I'll send the unfinished parts, the fixture and the quote "program" unquote and pay for the return of it all, just so I don't have to bandsaw and file them all.

I'll really feel proud if my program works, I'm not sure about the I and J functions, whether they have to be incremental or absolute.

PM me if you're interested, I'll be glad to discuss the project. Or Email me, my email is my first initial last name, no spaces (from my user name here) plus the "at sign" and alink.com.

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful boxes Greg! I enjoy looking at the projects posted here by all the talented members we have. You guys give me inspiration to try new things and realize that even a newb like me can learn or at least try some of these projects. Even the simplest things or different ways to attack a project can be very helpful to those of us less experienced!

Last edited:
Tbl5.jpg Tbl1.jpg Tbl4.jpg

Last week I showed you the chop saw stand I made. Today I finished adding a slide out support arm to hold longer pieces of metal. I bought a junk piece of exercise equipment for $5 from goodwill just for the square telescoping tubing. It has a detent buttbutton to lock it in places in 6 positions. It turned out real well and makes cutting long pieces much easier.

Decided it was time to make a spider for the rear of the spindle on my 12 x 36 lathe. From another post on this forum someone stated the spindle thread on his G4003 (same as my lathe) is 42M x 1.5. I checked my copy of Machinerys Handbook and there was no such thread listed. There was 42 x 2.0 and 45 x 1.5 but no 42 x 1.5. I measured the inside of the spindle and it didn't match any of the threads listed in the Machinerys Handbook so I figured I would just wing it and go back and forth from turning to the spindle to try the fit. I figured the only way to do this without loosing the thread position was to turn between centers, something I haven't done yet. I had some small pieces of 2" diameter mild steel but no drive dog for it. First order of business was to throw something together for a dog and here it is. Not pretty but functional.

upload_2017-3-29_19-49-48.png

I turned a 3/4" piece of rod to a 60* point and used that for a center in the 3 jaw, without removing it until the project was done. I didn't like the small contact area for the drive finger but it worked.
upload_2017-3-29_19-51-56.png

went back and forth many times testing the fit and I was very pleased with how well this worked. No problems with the thread being out of sinc except for the initial gear setup that was not well documented in my lathe manual or on the lathe diagrams. I ended up looking at the Grizzly manual and the correct setup was clearly shown there.
upload_2017-3-29_19-56-16.png

All finished and a nice fit to boot.
upload_2017-3-29_19-57-51.png

With this setup I got an inside bore diameter of 1.35" which is not the full spindle bore size. So I figured I would make a spider that fit over the outside of the spindle. I took a piece of 3" diameter rod and bored that out for a snug fit. But after trying the fit out a few times I noticed small scratches on the outside of the spindle from the spider rubbing on it. So I decided not to pursue that idea any further at this time. I found it strange that some mild steel would scratch the supposedly hardened spindle.
upload_2017-3-29_20-3-9.png

upload_2017-3-29_20-3-45.png

A nice fit with almost negligible movement. I think I'm getting better at this.:) Its about time too.

If I find a need for the larger spider in the future, I may finish adding the hold down screws and use some brass plugs between the locking bolts and the spindle. But for now I will use the smaller screw on version.

Back