2017 POTD Thread Archive

Tree branch guillotine upside down.

We chop our own wood from the yard trees and wind up with piles of branches too small for chainsaw but good as starters but a pain to chop.

We slapped them on the bobcat bucket to break them but that requires moving the bobcat so we dug in the scrap pile and found a chunk of 1 inch plate steel 7 X 17 and an old radio rack...

Made a cutting edge on the plate and chopped the rack down and bolted the blade in place.

Used same for log splitter/cutter and it works well.

Still need to harden the edge but bottles empty...

Place next to Wagon and swing the branch and it cuts or breaks with cut parts landing in the wagon.

Short order work of pile now...

Largest branch was 3 inches.
da2c1a1fc7c549dbf6daf1fdafc155e4.jpg
7a4f2ba4a7b4d69e9ef02844cd0ff1a2.jpg
cd19ae5d4d514f64ee4ea02ec5d8b093.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

2" thick it took me one hour and one min to saw just that one . I have one more to saw out tomorrow 2" thick the the easy one 1" thick .
Then belt sand the radius and the bore 2" holes in all three . Weld in place

What welding rod type and size you running? Bevel/multi-pass?
Forks are handy to have.

Look for places that sell used parts.

We picked up a side shift carriage with a pair of forks and the back guard for 50 bucks at a forklift place and just added a couple parts for the bottom prongs of the bobcat to hold.

Yours looks like it is much bigger though.

I run a 6011 stringer and the two and three filler passes with 1/8 - E7018
On those big yokes I have not welded yet . I will put a lot more that three passes most likely it will be
Five or six passes on them . They will also be welded with E7018 - 1/8 rods

I still need to bore 2" holes in all the brackets after I saw them to size
That weld you see in this picture is just one pass of
6011 - the rest of those welds are caped with two or three passed of 7018
I will cut some big weld bevels on that yoke
Before I start welding .

That weld you see in this picture is just one pass of
6011 - the rest of those welds are caped with two or three passed of 7018
I will cut some big weld bevels on that yoke
Before I start welding .

That should work well. You might run the 6011 root pass hotter than normal and consider preheating the thicker material prior to welding.
Back in the day (Navy) I would burn close to 40 pounds in a 12 hour shift. I seldom burn rod these days as the 350P does the bulk of my work ,but once in a while I'll bid low for a hard face job as I find burning rod therapeutic.:)
Keep us posted....
Turn and burn!
Paco

Thought it was about time I had a pin spanner for the lathe spindle instead of the plethora of rods I have been using that have slightly ovaled the hole:oops2:
I cut a ring out of some 12mm plate and drilled a couple of holes and tapped them for the pin and handle.
The blue sections will be discarded.
View attachment 234614
I milled out the slot in one and two sides on the other and bolted them together.
Along with a handle and ........
View attachment 234615
I opted for a hinged version as I feel its firmer and less chance of the pin slipping out the hole.
Cosmetically it could be better but it does the job well.

Savarin, Please help me learn, How in he-- did you cut such a perfect looking ring out of a steel plate?? Great finished product, by the way. Your insight is incredible, without your explanation I would still be trying to figure out where the two pieces came from out of the ring. Thanks for showing us all your great projects, JR49

Look for places that sell used parts.

We picked up a side shift carriage with a pair of forks and the back guard for 50 bucks at a forklift place and just added a couple parts for the bottom prongs of the bobcat to hold.

Yours looks like it is much bigger though.

They are heavy I made the angal iron frame work
Two foot tall by four foot wide

Back