2017 POTD Thread Archive

How did you do those curves? Free hand tooling? Large ground tooling?
I ground a HSS tool bit with the radius on it
And free handed it some working it back and forth
Until I got it right then dressed it up with some very fine needle files , and then fine sand paper
Knurled the two outside edges . And smoothed
Them with the needle files.
I think I made three deferent tools at least
Maybe four . It has been 25 years at least
I didn't use nuts to make them out of
I used round stock Stainless Steel drilled and bored And parted them off

Last edited:
IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1376.JPG

I bought a 2017 Honda CTX700 and shortly after bought a center stand for it from Japan. There is a similar bike there that has the stand that we in NA don't get. Simple 5 minute install, but you need three hands for the final bit. Today I made a plastic washer to increase the preload on the rear damper. There is not enough threaded section on the body to screw the lock nuts down enough, so a 10 mm spacer does the trick. I also cut off half the rubber packer that the damper bottoms against at the end of travel. Will test ride after supper.
Pierre

I ground a HSS tool bit with the radius on it
And free handed it some working it back and forth
Until I got it right then dressed it up with some very fine needle files , and then fine sand paper
Knurled the two outside edges . And smoothed
Them with the needle files.
I think I made three deferent tools at least
Maybe four . It has been 25 years at least
I didn't use nuts to make them out of
I used round stock Stainless Steel drilled and bored And parted them off

Shoot! Now. Need to make another one, and this run will require me taking my time for a good finish.

I actually got out into the garage today and did a couple thing. I changed the grommet in the tank of a weed wacker. Then cut down and squared the ends of roller from a treadmill I had laying around. Used that little miller that someone so graciously lent me. The roller is going to be part of my next project. It will be something to turn the rear wheel of my motorcycle slowly as I look for the timing mark to set my timing.
Felt good to finally get out and do something. Got real tired after but still felt good. I will post some pics later.

No fair, showing off your Gerstner tool box. I had to get along with Kennedys, couldn't buy Gerstners and food for the children too.

Die holder looks great, though.
When I started out my Apprenticeship I had a wooden Gerstner and I wanted a metal Kennedy tool box . I traded even with my boss . He was happy and I was happy with the trade .
I was trying to work out of that Gerstner at 20 and
21 years old . I needed the metal .

Shoot! Now. Need to make another one, and this run will require me taking my time for a good finish.

Wait.... Your ring looks like it has the comfort fit inside. Was that a custom ground tool, too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put some more of my 15" Sheldon lathe together this past weekend. It starting to look like a lathe now! I'll go into detail of what I did since the last post under "My 15" Sheldon Lathe Rebuild" in the Sheldon lathe forum. Ken

DSCN3620.JPG

DSCN3621.JPG

DSCN3623.JPG

Wait.... Your ring looks like it has the comfort fit inside. Was that a custom ground tool, too?

Those rings in the picture is not the ones I made .
They are my wedding ring . I used it as a pattern to
Make two just like them for someone else .
I made them out of stainless steel.
The one in the picture is white gold.
And I did not make it . I bought it in a jewelry store
It is my wedding ring.

Last edited:

Silverhawk
My original post must have not been clear
Enough that I did not make the one in the picture.
So I went back and did some Edit on the wording . I hope it is clear now .

Not real fancy but they work, Could not find way wipers for my lathe, so made some felt wipers with covers, wish I could have made some metal ones, but these will work, The one photo shows the rubber ones that it normally used, but did not seal on the top of the way properly so oil just shot out the top, The new ones are good enough that I found one of my ball oilers does not seal properly because I pushed oil in the one end of the carriage and it came out the oiler on the other end. It now wipes well The cover gets the stuff off and the flelt under it gets the oil on it and keeps the oil in where it is supposed to be. IMG_0312[1].JPG IMG_0314[1].JPG IMG_0311[1].JPG

Back