3D CAD choices...

kb58

Registered
Registered
Wasn't sure where to put this thread, since it'll eventually cut across several branches of this forum. But since I'm at the beginning, it starts with CAD.

I'm somewhat familiar with CAD, having used several so-so products, including Sketchup, TurboCAD, and a few others I can't even remember now. In any effect, it's been long enough that whatever I get, I'll effectively be starting all over again.

My goal is to build a CNC laser cutter, and want to first design it in CAD, then use the same CAD software later to create 2D designs to be cut by the laser cutter. I realise that the latter may require additional interface software, but I'd prefer to use the same root CAD software for the original drawings.

The problem:
I was all set to use Fusion 360, but the mfg effectively neutered it, making it (I think) unusable for creating the laser cutter assembly, and who knows about creating files for cutting parts. This moves me to my main point about CAD: I don't want to pay a subscription. I realize that it's where many/most CAD products are going, but I'm not a business and can't justify the literal never-ending expense. So here's the deal: I'm willing to pay up to maybe $500 as a one-time purchase for a decent CAD package capable of the above. I'm aware of FreeCAD, but rather pay money to get something not so buggy, and with maybe a chance of getting answers if I run into problems. Additionally, it would be nice if whatever CAD it is, that there's some Youtube training videos.

I'm not asking to be spoon-fed an answer, just wondering what actual users (you) are using, as opposed to "review" sites that are fronts for manufactures! In the meantime, I'm actively reading review sites, but it's disappointing just how many CAD products are too expensive, subscription-based, and/or bug ridden.

Based on your experience and what you are aiming to achieve, I would seriously consider Draftsight. I won't talk about $ or their business model because I would recommend on your needs first and then figure out how to get your mind wrapped around the $ later.

One downside is that it is 2D CAD only but does everything you are asking for and I believe the paid version now has or will have a G-code generator.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, Draftsight is subscription based. I don't want to go down that road, paying for something (forever) whether I'm using it or not.

Freecad is full featured, and completely free, but it's UI needs some work. Not as easy to work with as F360, but little else is frankly. Another alternative is Solidworks student license which you can get with an EAA membership. Sure, it counts as a subscription of a sort, but it's only $40 and you can use it on multiple PCs. Once again, not as easy as fusion 360, it's a different paradigm, but it works.

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists, educators and companies that make less than a certain dollar amount. There is a vast amount of online help. Does CNC as well.

Check into Alibre Atom with the Mecsoft CAM add on. The two together is somewhat more than you want to spend but well worth it.

Richard

I use Fusion360 for both 3d printing and my Tormach mill. Yes the free personal license has been limited since last fall but still functional for my needs which are modest. Includes CAM which to me is a bigger deal than CAD. Despite plenty of negative press, this is still the best deal going if you need CAM.

I have tried Onshape which is a real high-end professional CAD with a free plan for hobbyist folks. My feeling is it's a really under-rated program because free version makes you save in a public forum so everyone can see what you are making. I don't think that's a real concern for a hobby but some folks do. This runs in the cloud so you can use almost any computer (I even used on a chromebook). Almost too good for a hobby program and lacks all the janky free cad, blue screen, beta version, ms-dos crap most of the other hobby cad programs subject the user to.

I have looked at the Alibre workshop package as a backup if Fusion become unreasonable but it's certainly less powerful. $125 and up one time for CAD or $399 for CAD/CAM.

You might also consider joining EAA (experimental aircraft association) which for $50 a year includes a Solidworks non-commercial license (Solidworks educational).

Thanks for the suggestions. I soured on Solid Works years ago because at the time, it was $12,000 a year, then later heard about the EAA connection but keep forgetting about it. Regarding Fusion360, I guess I should give it a closer look to see how limited it is before writing it off completely. Have never heard of Onshape and will look into it. Had just a bit of experience with Alibre years ago and will see what's changed.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I would recommend looking seriously into Fusion 360. There are a lot of help videos out there, and I find the program to be rather intuitive. Even though AutoDesk somewhat hobbled it, I think (don't know for sure) that it still has a lot of power baked into it, including CAM.
I am a member of the EAA so have been using SolidWorks the last two or three years. SW has a steep learning curve but also very powerful. A current "seat" for SW is about $5k if you purchased it, but it is still just a subscription.

I'm kind of where you are. I spent quite a bit of time learning Sketchup, to the point I was fairly proficient with it, but you had to pay to get all the features and it seemed like with each upgrade more features went to the pay side. Then I found out it wasn't really that great for 3D printing and that is what I had planned to use it for. It has been so long now that I barely even know how to use it anymore anyway.

Later got a free license for Fusion 360, but wasn't too invested into it when they cut back what was included in the free version. I understand it was not limited nearly as badly as the internet had made it out to be, but it still raises the fact that at anytime they could cut back further. This is an issue with any corporate CAD program, at any point free versions can be rolled back or cancelled entirely.

I'm now learning FreeCAD, seems to work well enough. For somebody actually versed in a professional CAD program it might seem clunky but so far it seems to be fairly intuitive for me. It is open source so should always be free and full access which at this point is important to me.

Back