3D Printing services online

koenbro

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello everyone, I am trying to gain access to 3D printing for my hobby shop. So the volume will be low, parts typically small (within the envelope of existing printers, or broken down to parts that fit the envelope and reassembled) and a few days turn-over time will be fine.

After reading a bit, I thought filament deposition might not have the resolution I want, and started looking at SLA instead. I was looking to purchase a FormLabs Form3 setup (or a Prusa SL1S), and might still end up getting a system. Not interested in Chinese products, regardless of how good a price.

However, am exploring the possibility of uploading designs to an online service and having them print, clean, cure, and mail to me. Would also like to have some metal bits printed, and metal printing is definitely not available to me at home.

So help me mature my thinking on this problem. What online services have you used and recommend? What are tradeoffs with online services vs printing at home? Any other points or advice? Many thanks.

I've used Shapeways numerous times over the years and have been very happy with the results. While they have many materials all the parts that I needed have only ever been out of plastic. If I'm recalling right I believe though the process wasn't exactly fast. They're in NY if my memory is right and usually from time of order to delivery in Oregon was around two weeks.

Some of the pros and cons of printing at home vs online service. I am sure and hope others will add to this list.

PROS at Home;
Parts available immediately
Parts cost
Its fun
You will find many more uses for printed parts

PROS for Service;
access to more materials and processes
Minimal learning curve
No more rewarding than ordering a part from Amazon

CONS at Home;
Investment in equipment materials
Learning curve
Takes time to do

CONS for Service;
Part cost
finished parts in days not hours
quick and easy to set up an account for ordering

Last edited:
I have used Shapeways many times and recommend them highly. I have made a number of intricate parts from ceramics, where they print a green ceramic then glaze and fire it, as well as the usual plastics.

Their cycle time is acceptable, and has always been the fastest way to get a similar functioning part.

Thanks for the replies. I am open to the idea of buying and running a 3d printer, but am considering trying a service first. Thanks for the recommendation for Shapeways, have just made an account.

If I were to buy a unit for home (SLA) what do you recommend?

I do a fair amount of 3d printing at home and could not imagine using a service. The primary reason is that I often iterate on the design several times before I have my final part. The ability to design-print-refine-reprint all in a few hours or an afternoon is a HUGE value in printing from home.

I do a fair amount of 3d printing at home and could not imagine using a service. The primary reason is that I often iterate on the design several times before I have my final part. The ability to design-print-refine-reprint all in a few hours or an afternoon is a HUGE value in printing from home.
Yeah, the iteration is key here particularly as I have no prior experience. Leaning towards buying.

@koenbro ,

You will share some thoughts and pictures on setup and use right?

Pretty Please!
-brino

Fancy! And exciting. It will be interesting to hear about your experience with it.

Back