4x6 metal bandsaw stand/base and mods ...

Beautiful! :drool: You've turned a cheap bandsaw into a very nice tool. I'm definitely going to have to "steal" some of these ideas from you.

Thanks,

-Ron

Thank you guys for your kind words. I do have a couple of welding projects pending for this year, so the improved bandsaw will get plenty of use :))

Will

WOW!!!!!!!

Talk about SUCCESSFULLY, making a silk purse from a sows ear...

Honestly, you are too cool dude. Lots of photos, clean shop, fantastic workmanship, and great thinking. You are a man of my own heart!

I too, along with probably 1567 others here, have done perhaps, half of these mods, but hey, you nailed it!

My unit now resides in a corner, in an upright position only, so I can profile cut 10.0 mm. plates. Auto Power Feed Hacksaw does all my grunt work now.

I am blown away....

Tell me, if you ever come to visit Australia, will you drop in, so I can give you a job, designing and making stuff like you just made?

Even a holiday, come and see me dude!

Very very nice job. I have been thinking of making a base my self. When I do I likely will borrow some of these ideas.

Wow! That's a lot of work and a really nice result.

Don't neglect to change out the "oil" in the gearbox. You saw looks to be the very same one that I've got, and mine was lubed with what looked/smelled like grease thinned with gasoline. Guys disagree on what to use because of the bronze worm wheel, but I played it safe and used Mobil SHC-630 (I think.)

-Ryan

I have to say, "this is a thread with pics". Very nice fabrication and great mods. That saw will last you years of great service. Nice job on the build and post. Keep up the good work.

:man:

Will,

Outstanding work! Thank you for an excellent job of documenting your project!!

Steve

Thank you guys :eek:

Don't neglect to change out the "oil" in the gearbox. You saw looks to be the very same one that I've got, and mine was lubed with what looked/smelled like grease thinned with gasoline. Guys disagree on what to use because of the bronze worm wheel, but I played it safe and used Mobil SHC-630 (I think.)
Ryan,

I did that right then I got the saw in 2007. I vaguely remember how nasty the OEM stuff smelled/looked like. I know I used some heavy gear oil (something like 80/90W), but to be 100%, I don't remember exactly what I replaced it with. I have never re-opened that side panel, it has never leaked, it is still working great, so I am leaving it alone for now.

Will

Great job documenting your project. I wish that I had the room for a base like that with a coolant system, but I'm a bit short on space. So, In the mean time, I made mine "compact" / "portable" and I too converted it to hydraulic feed some time back. I used an old, used spring from the hood of my pick-up truck. I love this saw. Set it and forget it.

IMAG0785.jpgIMAG0011.jpgIMAG0012.jpgIMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0785.jpg IMAG0011.jpg IMAG0012.jpg IMAG0014.jpg

Back