5/8" Tool on a 1228

I'd probably suggest milling off the bottom of a tool holder so you can use 5/8" holders in the future.

The nice part is you can mill off the bottom on a lathe by just holding it 'butt down' in a 4 jaw and turning the bottom.
That's a good idea! I have faced rectangular pieces on the lathe, they come out fine.
Edit: I'd use the lathe, rather than an angle grinder, that is if you have a four jaw chuck.

Fella I know did something similar and used this tool.
1648749730736.png

Any belt sander will do the job...

Belt sander.jpg

It is this sander...

Ridgidsander.jpg

With this belt

MetalSandingBelt.jpg

That I used to balanced and weight match some connecting rods...

Rods.jpg

The message is to not use that end for sanding... :D

Last edited:
All Industrial Tool has AXA tool holders with 5/8" capacity. I can't speak personally to this particular one, but I've been very pleased with the wedge-style BXA tool post I bought from them years ago. Also EXTREMELY pleased with the knee power feed for my Bridgeport from them.

Another suggestion is to shim your tool post higher (since you can't shim your tool holder lower ;) ). You could buy a piece of 1/4" (or 1/8" plate) steel that's a little bigger than your tool post base and drill a hole through the center for the tool post bolt to the T-nut.

Bruce

1648752098661.png

All Industrial Tool has AXA tool holders with 5/8" capacity. I can't speak personally to this particular one, but I've been very pleased with the wedge-style BXA tool post I bought from them years ago. Also EXTREMELY pleased with the knee power feed for my Bridgeport from them.

Another suggestion is to shim your tool post higher (since you can't shim your tool holder lower ;) ). You could buy a piece of 1/4" (or 1/8" plate) steel that's a little bigger than your tool post base and drill a hole through the center for the tool post bolt to the T-nut.

Bruce

View attachment 402478
Interestingly, I think that makes it WORSE, rather than better!

Based on this picture: the normal '101': https://www.shars.com/files/products/202-9401/202-9401sketch.jpg

measure .938" to the top of the slot, and a slot height of .5". That makes the 'bottom flange' .438".

The #1XL Dimensions: https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-mzp..._axa1_55026501_line__67227.1614021892.jpg?c=2

show it as 1.125" and .625" for the same measurements, making it .500" for hte bottom flange. SO this holds the tool 62 thou higher!

The compound is too high for this toolholder. Raising the toolpost doesn't lower the compound. The tool holder is touching the compound according to the OP. So the either the tool is lowered, or the bottom of the tool holder is lowered, or the compound is lowered. Of the three options, lowering the bottom of the tool holder by machining it may be the best option. If the base of a replacement toolholder was thinner, bottom edge to the bottom of the pocket of the holder, that would work as well. Easiest, and cheapest, chuck it in a 4 jaw and machine off the bottom. Use a sturdy carbide tool, it will cut through any hardening.

Thanks for all the replies.

Fella I know did something similar and used this tool.
View attachment 402473
I have the Wen equivalent but it's still in the box since I'm been focusing on the lathe. The only difference between CM one and the one I have from Wen (or the multitude of clones out there) appears to be the color of the plastic housing.

Bruce

View attachment 402478
Thanks, but the tool is already mounted in a 250-101XL holder that I got from PM. With the 5/8" shank, it absolutely doesn't fit the standard 250-101.

Looks like I'm going to be breaking in a new sander over the weekend.

Back