7071 Aluminum Round Bar Source

I know this thread kind of died off with no resolution, but it was interesting to me. 7071 may not exist, but there are a wide variety of wonderful 7075 options for various applications. I have a small stockpile (hoard) of this stuff ... http://www.supdie.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/fm-v3.pdf

I use it for anything I can, has a nice stainless like finish.

I have a customer (ok, it's a friend willing to pay for the material :encourage:) that needs 7071 Aluminum in a part. I need just a small amount 1" by 12" round bar (that would be enough to make several parts in case I make a mistake). I have looked at local sources, and mail order. I find plenty of 6061 and 7075, but he really wants 7071. Any suggestions? I did see a reference to some on a site based n China, but would like to use that as a last resort.

Thanks
I suspect that the customer/friend is a hobbyist in the motorcycle, classic car, photography, light aircraft, drone, or fishing world and read an article chock full of misinformation in a Hobbyist magazine stating that 7071 aluminum is the best way for such a part. I have been a machinist for 30 years and have never come across 7071.

7075 yes, 2024 yes, have also used 5051 which is designed for a marine enviornment and anodizes well, not all aluminum alloys will anodize well, keep this in mind.

I found a lot of hobby sites for laser pointers Where every one is looking for 7071.

Funny how what was probably just a typo to begin with has everyone hunting for a nearly nonexistent alloy. I'm sure they meant 7075. It's pretty much everyone's "go-to" alloy when they want to upgrade the strength on a part.

Someone may have been watching some gadget on TV (LED flashlight anyone?) and thought they heard the guy say "7071 aircraft grade aluminum". :D

I was fairly specific in my original post (not a typo or hearsay). 7071 is very hard to find, and I don't need 6061 or 7075. I guess it is possible all the references to 7071 on the Internet (not many) are all typos, or confused people. I don't want to debate whether it exists or not. For all practical purposes, if I can't get my hands on any, then it does not exist for me.

Thanks

OK then, in order for us to continue trying to help you, tell us your mechanical and or chemical requirements. There are some here with metallurgy backgrounds and maybe by going at it from a slightly different direction we can do better.

Just to be clear, I was not saying that you made a typo, or were going by hearsay. Nor did I say it doesn't exist. Nor did I say that all references on the Internet are confused people or typographical errors. There is no debate here except the possibility of whether that alloy is the only one that offers the needed properties. You did indicate however, that your requirement was based on what your customer/friend (yep, they can be the same) told you. Have you seen this on the bill of materials from the mechanical drawing? And I must ask, does he have legitimate reasons for wanting this particular alloy? Without exception, when an unusual alloy is specified, there are features, either mechanical or chemical, or both, that force the selection to allow only a very limited range of alloys. If we are going to be able to help, it's unlikely that we are going to come up with a source of 7071. If you are locked in on that alloy, then you're in a spot. If not, we need the above information that I requested. Then we can look for something that for all practical purposes will substitute.

It seems that 7071 is only available from China. I saw one vendor that will sell a minimum 10 piece quantity. I expect that might be 4 meter lengths. Since this stuff is so rare in the U.S., it might be worth buying 10 lengths in various sizes and sell it by the foot on Ebay at a premium price. A money making opportunity here.;)

I find many references to it, but nothing that sounds like a valid offering. Except one, where you can apparently get it as a chemical reagent. You have to understand that people like Alibaba and their ilk will quote you anything, but when it comes time to purchase, everything will change. I wouldn't be at all surprised that it may have been produced for experimental applications and testing. But since it's so uncommon, there must not be anything particularly desirable that wasn't already available from the more common alloys. or it could be directly the opposite. It may have exhibited such undesirable qualities that no one ever designed for it.

http://www.angenechemical.com/productshow/AGN-PC-0QVOH7.html

I find more arguments on fora about it's existence than anything else. One mfg of AR parts listed his lowers as made of 7071, but when called on it, admitted it was a mistake on his website that he needed to fix, as his lowers were made of 7075, just like everyone else.

I am beginning to have serious doubts about it.

Back