8 Days left and the work is stacking up :)

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
With only 8 more days to retirement, the guys at work are panicking.
This weekend I have three projects brought to me this week from my co-workers.
Why not, I work for free. How many machinists do you know dumb enough to work for free?

I don't mind but I do have other projects I'd like to spend some time on. I should enjoy the friendships while I'm still here.
I'm a bit concerned about missing the social interaction with the guys, I'm going to miss them.

To do, (simple, I hope.)
Reduce the two bushings to 1.905 and leave the register.
Finish the 2 jaw puller threaded rod.
I'm going to finish the extensions for the 30,000# lift also.

Attachments

• bush.jpg
    bush.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 4
  • pull 1.jpg
    pull 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 4
Why not, I work for free. How many machinists do you know dumb enough to work for free?
Now I know of two . ;) As far as missing the people and the intereaction , yes I do and I'm sure you will . I spent 4 hours over at work yesterday just shooting the breeze with everyone . Could you still do this after retiring ?

Now I know of two . ;) As far as missing the people and the intereaction , yes I do and I'm sure you will . I spent 4 hours over at work yesterday just shooting the breeze with everyone . Could you still do this after retiring ?
:), I could certainly drive down and go to lunch or just walk around and talk to the guys.
I will continue to have our vehicles serviced here.

Retiring isn't for wimps :) :)

:), I could certainly drive down and go to lunch or just walk around and talk to the guys.
I will continue to have our vehicles serviced here.

Retiring isn't for wimps :) :)
You know my issues I'm going thru Jeff . I can not even envision myself retiring as I ask , retiring to what ? This breaking stuff , fixing stuff , buying stuff , selling stuff is and has been my life for 45 years . You think I can stop ? Never . :encourage: We'll get thru it all , one way or the other .

You know my issues I'm going thru Jeff . I can not even envision myself retiring as I ask , retiring to what ? This breaking stuff , fixing stuff , buying stuff , selling stuff is and has been my life for 45 years . You think I can stop ? Never . :encourage: We'll get thru it all , one way or the other .
Oh yeah, I get it.
I will continue to fix, fabricate, create as best I can and I'll have time.
You're going to get well before you go at this full steam ahead. Right ? :)

You're going to get well before you go at this full steam ahead. Right ? :)
I sure hope to . We talk about interaction . I left the full time full fledged machinist career in 99 and went into more of a mechanical position . Although the occasional repair jobs that required machining were handled by myself , I did miss the more detailed intricate work being a so called full time machinist . That's exactly what brought me to this site and why I talk so much . :) Who knows , I could retire to a machinists position when all is done with , I sure wouldn't have to do the heavy lifting or climbing I do now .

I own an import auto repair shop and I am retirement age but I don't want to. I love my wife and all but if we were stuck together 24/7 we would be apt to kill each other. I come in everyday and do the administrative stuff and occasionally work on an older car that the new techs can't or wont do. (what is a carburator?) I have my mill and lathe set up in a back room and build parts and tools if I can. I make a living wage and have fun too, I guess I am semi retired and wouldn't know what to do if I didn't do this.

I have an employee who is 78 and retired but had no direction in life after closing his own shop years ago. He would come in and hang out fairly regular so I offered to hire him and pay him flat rate, which means if he turns out a job that pays, I pay him for it, if he doesn't then no pay. He comes in every day and if there is something to do, he will jump in and do it, if there is nothing, that is fine with him too. He credits me with saving his life as he had no direction, deep depression, and nothing to do till he got to hang around here. He helps with shop maintenance, cleanup and organization, project cars, etc and is loving life again. I do pay him a wage for that too, so he has spending money.

I hope someone adopts me like that when I hang up my hat for good.

I own an import auto repair shop and I am retirement age but I don't want to. I love my wife and all but if we were stuck together 24/7 we would be apt to kill each other. I come in everyday and do the administrative stuff and occasionally work on an older car that the new techs can't or wont do. (what is a carburator?) I have my mill and lathe set up in a back room and build parts and tools if I can. I make a living wage and have fun too, I guess I am semi retired and wouldn't know what to do if I didn't do this.

I have an employee who is 78 and retired but had no direction in life after closing his own shop years ago. He would come in and hang out fairly regular so I offered to hire him and pay him flat rate, which means if he turns out a job that pays, I pay him for it, if he doesn't then no pay. He comes in every day and if there is something to do, he will jump in and do it, if there is nothing, that is fine with him too. He credits me with saving his life as he had no direction, deep depression, and nothing to do till he got to hang around here. He helps with shop maintenance, cleanup and organization, project cars, etc and is loving life again. I do pay him a wage for that too, so he has spending money.

I hope someone adopts me like that when I hang up my hat for good.
That's a great story!!

Back