1. We want to thank the professional machinists that belong to our site for sharing their expertise and insight. It really helps those of us who are hobbyists to improve our work, and pass on your skills to us. Thank you and God bless you!
    Dismiss Notice

80% AR15 Lower Completion

Discussion in 'GUNSMITHING & FIREARMS' started by MaverickNH, Nov 7, 2012.

1. MaverickNH

MaverickNH Steel

City:
    Bedford
    State:
    New Hampshire
    So I have picked up an 80% AR15 lower and some drill-press jigs to complete the lower, but am really trying to talk myself into a mini-mill to do the job right. That, and I haven't used lathes/mills since machine shop class in high school in the early '70s and would like to get back into metalwork as a hobby and something to do with my son, who will turn 14 shortly.

I might work back to making lowers from <80% forgings to gain experience, as well as doing some mill projects to learn more.

I've been looking at a Little machine Shop HiTorque 3960 mini-mill and starter tooling kit. This is pretty much in my price range and size range.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. AR1911

AR1911 Active User Active Member

City:
    Fort Worth
    State:
    Texas
    LMS sells good stuff. I suspect that mill is the best minimill on the market.

3. Alphawolf45

Alphawolf45 Active User Active Member

City:
    Bismarck
    State:
    Arkansas
    I rather see a man buy machines weighing closer to 2500 lbs but if size and price dominate the decision you can do a lot of good work with the smaller mill but working much slower...Later on convert it to cnc for engraving and such small intricate work will really get the interest worked up in your teenager....Have fun.

4. tripletap3

tripletap3 Active User Supporter Active Member

City:
    Va Beach
    State:
    Virginia
    Please keep me informed on your progress Maverick. I have been wanting to try one of the 80% lowers. I have learned as a gunsmith that drilling precision holes is all about layout then rigidity, rigidity, rigidity so you need a solid machine. I try to buy everything I can from LMS. I think they research all of their stuff for quality first before they sell it. Their mill is a Seig and I would buy it from them even if it cost a few more dollars than from someone else. It looks like they add a larger table and a few other specific features that others don't have. The biggest thing to consider about buying Asian stuff is the company selling it to you. The importer/seller are the ones who will insure the quality of what you get, honor a warranty and support you not the factory.

5. MaverickNH

MaverickNH Steel

City:
    Bedford
    State:
    New Hampshire
    We have an old but working Bridgeport in the basement of our building in South Boston that nobody has used for years. If I paid for removal and transportation, they would probably let me have it, but my wife would kill me. No place it would fit but the garage. So we make compromises...

Yeah - CNC would be a good addition, and educational too!

6. Metalmann

Metalmann Active User Active Member

City:
    warsaw
    State:
    Indiana
    "If I paid for removal and transportation, they would probably let me have it, but my wife would kill me."

Tell her how much better a Bridgeport is compared to other cheaper, smaller; milling machines.

If that doesn't work, tell her how much safer it is; say that you want to be around for many years to come.

If none of that works, throw a hissy fit till she agrees.:phew::whistle::))

7. ranch23

ranch23 Active User Active Member

City:
    Glenrock
    State:
    Wyoming
    And don't forget the status of just having a Bridgeport, that'll get her.

8. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Active User Active Member

City:
    Elkhorn
    State:
    Nebraska

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

-Ron

9. leadunderpressure

leadunderpressure Active User Supporter Active Member

City:
    Sussex
    State:
    New Jersey
    What jigs are the best for completing one of these
    Lowers? I see several different jigs available at similar price points.

LUP

10. OakRidgeGuy

OakRidgeGuy Active User Active Member

City:
    Oak Ridge
    State:
    Tennessee
    I have the LMS and I am going to CNC mine, I plan on doing a 45 acp and also a AR15 on mine.. When the time is right..

11. Riven

Riven Iron

City:
    San Jose
    State:
    California
    OakRidge didn't mention jigs (oops, maybe he did - ?LMS?) but I'm assuming that if he's going to CNC them then the commercial jigs are unnecessary - a couple pieces of aluminum shaped to the outside of the receiver will do fine.

If using a hand drill or press than I'd want a commercial jig, but right now I'm shaping jigs per Ray-Vin's manual and plan on using those with a BP for probably a 20% forging (or maybe a zero, I haven't decided yet).

12. Blackhawk

Blackhawk Active User Active Member

City:
    Fort meade
    State:
    Maryland
    For a jig, look at cnc guns.
    +1 for the rayvin guide but also take a look how Justin did his at cnc guns, I got ideas from both. I am not finished but started with 0% lower.
    Take a look at goobers posts there, lots of knowledge and nice guy.
    rob
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

13. OakRidgeGuy

City:
    Oak Ridge
    State:
    Tennessee
    I have not been able to get CNC Guns to open the past couple of days..

But now thanks to a fellow over on the zone. i have the complete blueprints.. for a 1911

14. dennis98277

dennis98277 Active User Active Member

City:
    oak harbor
    State:
    Washington
    holly smoke batman do you think i can get a copy of those 1911 i would love to try my hand at a build from a billet. can understand if you cant thought i would ask that never kills nobody i think :rofl:

15. Blackhawk

City:
    Fort meade
    State:
    Maryland
  16. OakRidgeGuy

City:
    Oak Ridge
    State:
    Tennessee
  17. igluit4u

igluit4u Active User Active Member

City:
    Annapolis
    State:
    Maryland
    Blackhawk, do you have a link to Justin's build on cnc? I am getting ready to start a 0 and want all the info I can get before I decide on how to do it!

Thanks!

18. Blackhawk

City:
    Fort meade
    State:
    Maryland
  19. igluit4u

igluit4u Active User Active Member

City:
    Annapolis
    State:
    Maryland
    Awesome, thanks very much! I'll read up on them tonight.

I am going to do this one old school. I have a DRO Bridgeport that does most of my milling work at the shop, so that will be the tool I use. Only issue it has is that the Z axis DRO doesn't work and I haven't figured out yet how to get the auto feed to work for the X and Y, but that hasn't really caused my any issues yet and I don't foresee it being a problem here on this build. I'm going to start with a 0% forging, have a couple backups on the way just in case I make a big mistake... LOL

20. Blackhawk

City:
    Fort meade
    State:
    Maryland
    Where did you get your lowers?

Hope i don't get banned for posting this but here is my hill billy dro, what can i say, i was desperate and it worked:lmao:

lanham, formerly of buckhannon west virginia.:nuts:

bilbilly dro.JPG