9x20 chuck backplate

I have cut a lot of cast iron in my life. Just take a good cut it will be gone. This true with all cast iron as cast. I found that the iron in weights work good after the first cut. Just use old carbide for first few cuts. Cast iron cuts faster than steel and no nasty chips

I had one time my life cutting to new cast iron wheel where I saw the out line of nut in the iron and it pored in Fresno CA.

Dave

I've heard of others doing this. One questionI have is, alot of the people that have done this reported that the top layer on the weight was very nasty and dulled the cutting tool very fast. Did you experience this and if so how did you deal with it?

the welds can be hard but carbide cutters and going slow in the rough areas it can be done. my question is weather it should be stress relieved before machining so it stays stable and don't warp over time.

I have thought of bringing it up to bright red in the furnace once welded and allowing to cool slowly. Sounds as If I should.

I made mine from a 6" backing plate from littlemachineshop.com that is $39.95 . cast iron, pre-machined to fit spindle, just turn diameter and shoulder for the chuck back, drill and bolt up.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1922&category=
steve

Its a nice thought but $40 for the plate + $67 shipping = $107 US or $131 AU, thats way more than the chuck cost so I hesitate to go down that route easy as it would be. The minister for war and finance would get a tad stroppy.:rofl:

The last chuck back I made took less than 2 hours to make and mount it on the chuck.
Ever got the back you still will have to machine the back on install on the chcuk

Dave

I have thought of bringing it up to bright red in the furnace once welded and allowing to cool slowly. Sounds as If I should.

Its a nice thought but $40 for the plate + $67 shipping = $107 US or $131 AU, thats way more than the chuck cost so I hesitate to go down that route easy as it would be. The minister for war and finance would get a tad stroppy.:rofl:

yes that would have to be a covert operation if I tried that here also :talktogod:
I forgot you were down under
Steve

Got the first part done.
19mm plate, 50mm boss, tapered, I removed the mill scale to ensure a full penetration weld.
plate and boss.jpg

All welded up and most of the spatter cleaned off.
welded.jpg

The amount of distortion, it bowed the 19mm plate up by 2mm.
distortion.jpg

Tomorrow I will be annealing the whole part in the furnace in preparation to turning.

distortion.jpg plate and boss.jpg welded.jpg

Back